Anyone know French drill bits?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a set of 5 French drill bits (Tivoly) numbered 4, 5, 6, 8, 10. Does anyone know what these are supposed to correspond to in mm or in fractions of inches? The packaging is of no help, it only talks about lengths.

Sponsored Links
I would think 4 5 6 8 10 mm same as here in the UK.
Thank you. So self evident, I missed it completely. I'm in Canada we use the infernal imperial system of inches for drill bits even though we use metric practically EVERYWHERE else. (n):cautious:

Sponsored Links
You could always measure them .... with a metric rule!
Sure, but the reason that wasn't instantly obvious to me is we have screw diameter gauges that have nothing to do with any measurement so I thought this might be like that. In short, I thought it was a numbered system that didn't correspond at all to a specific measurement.

IMO, the imperial system of bolts, threads nuts, etc is just plain crazy and I can see why you might be confused. I was, and still am.
If there is one thing France can be proud of, its the metric system.

IMO, the imperial system of bolts, threads nuts, etc is just plain crazy and I can see why you might be confused. I was, and still am.
You poor young person. Imperial is obvious to anyone with a handy conversion app.

If there is one thing France can be proud of, its the metric system.
Probably the only thing... The pity is that the guy who introduced it was such a chauvinistic arris. (Chauvanism - a second thing the French have dibs on)

Gotta go now and calculate how many bushels of cement we need to order today...

You poor young person. Imperial is obvious to anyone with a handy conversion app.

Probably the only thing... The pity is that the guy who introduced it was such a chauvinistic arris. (Chauvanism - a second thing the French have dibs on)

Gotta go now and calculate how many bushels of cement we need to order today...
Reminds me, I've got some 2nd fix work going if you're interested and can work to 1/64" tolerance. 1/6d an hour I'm paying for the right person, plus tuppence per league travel.

Sorry mate, my present job pays 4 groats a day anpd a the nutty slack I can handle in my hand barrow

I'm familiar with both from a young age and have to work in both sometimes, as my job has some projects in the States so all dimensions etc need to be imperial, about the only country remaining who still use imperial, they use a whole array of different ways to write imperial, even digital imperial measurements, eg 37.5", absolutely bonkers. I did buy an imperial calculator years ago which simplifies things. Of course we still use a fair bit of imperial in various walks of life here too before anyone gets too upset about imperial.

Last edited:
Sadly, I have worked with my fair share of idiots who think that 16in = 400mm, and who then install hundreds of joists on that basis (i.e. on 400mm centres) - until getting the inevitable tongue lashing from the pricework sub-floor installers who are attempting to install 8 x 4ft (2440 x 1220mm) plywod sub-floors on 16in centres and who need to trim every 2nd or 3rd sheet they lay

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back