Anyone know how to get this painting effect on metal?

DMA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with how to do the effect shown in the pics bellow?

Someone wanted me to paint their outdoor gate railings and I was going to use a Dulux Metal Shield paint system on them, but then today they showed me a swing that had the effect bellow and they wanted me to try and get the same effect on their railings.

It looks like copper and black. I was thinking that maybe it was achieved by first painting the metle with the copper and then maybe spraying the metal with black paint?

-Id rather not spray the gates though because Id need to buy a spray tent (I have a airless Wagner spray machine) and one of the gates at the house is about maybe 14ft tall so I wouldn't really want to take it of to try and spray something that big as I am new to spraying and there is a lot of nice masonry bricks and paving around the gates which I dont want to get paint on.

I was wondering if maybe I could achieve this effect by just using brush's and first prime the gates with the Dulux Trade Metalshield Zinc Phosphate Primer, then put a patchy cote of copper paint, and then maybe getting the black Metal shield gloss top cote paint mix it with lots of white spirit (30 % white spirit / 70% black gloss %??) to make a type of translucent glaze and then give the gate 1-2 cotes of this glaze mix so that the cooper could be seen through the finishing glaze cotes?

-I'm guessing that would possibly ruin the Metalshields durability though and it would maybe fail and clack and peal a lot sooner than normal? (the person whos house it is will prob get it redone after 3-4 years even if I were to just put on the Metalshield without mixing it with white spirit though anyways...)

The second way I was thinking to do it was to put on the primer, then 2 cotes of the black Metalshield (without mixing it) then put on the copper in a random patchy way, then put on a glaze cote (mixed white spirit with Metalshield) this way the gate would have the normal primer and two cotes for the normal protection, and at the same time have the effect the customer wanted?

anyone know if this would work or a better way to do it?

Thanks

Cooper swing 1.jpeg
Cooper swing 1.jpeg
Copper swing 2.jpeg

Sponsored Links
For what I can see from the pictures it is something like a bronze finish on black paint. Or you can just go with a spray paint like that one. It does look a bit darker, I think, so you can get a black spray paint can to miss things a bit.

If you are going for a bigger project like a fence full garden furniture I think it might be best to call in professional painters. At least they can determine the color by catalog, something that we can't do right here :)

• Thanks
Reactions: DMA
Yeah, but it has some "bronze like" textured finish, it is not entirely black or fully bronze :D something like antracite and bronze had a child...

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
thanks for your replies.

I think the swing in the pic may have the black as the top coat

I'm thinking now to fully prep the surface then try getting the effect by spray can "Hammerite smooth bronze" and then go over it with a "black Hammerite smooth satin" spray can paint.

Lots and lots of masking up to do first though!

Hard to judge from a photo looks silver grey to me. My wife got a similar finish on a small statue by mixing black and silver model paint. I suggest perhaps mixing silver and black hammerite together.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back