Painting moving parts on a metal gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My outside metal gate needs repainting. I can remove it from the wall but the actual bolt is captive - welded in. This is the bit that is most rusty and I am wondering the best way to paint it so it doesn't get painted stuck, or end up really messy. Is there a standard trick to this?

Am I best advised to paint the metal parts where it attaches to the wall (threaded rod with a chunky nut) or will that make removing the nut next time impossible and it should be left exposed?

I'm using hammerite metal paint - I have a tin, and also a spray-can for any little bits here and there.

Sponsored Links
for your threaded rod, I'd suggest cleaning off old rust with a wire brush, then using an anti-seize grease and a stainless nut and washer (if you can identify the thread - an old one may be BSW, a new one will be metric) and painting the exposed part of the thread after fitting. If you use a capnut or acorn nut, it has a closed end that will protect the end of the rod.

Red Oxide primer is quite good for outdoor steelwork. You will have to degrease the exposed parts before painting.

Hammerite is difficult to work with or repaint.

It's a feature I guess you'd say, already painted with black metal paint so I'm just maintaining it. I've used this paint before without too many problems, but with a slidey bolt/latch any wet paint between the two touching parts will cause issues. In a perfect world I'd remove it and paint separately but in this case I can't and I want to avoid 'tearing' the paint, etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back