Anyone recognise these monsters!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might do.... I am doing it with the syringe as i want the plant to continue growing while it is absorbing the roundup.... that way the 'toxin' shopuld be spread to all the different cells of the plant and hopefully kill it.

It can grow from a small bit left in the ground (0.8gm is the quote), so you need to make sure it is all hit.

As for cutting the stems and pouring.... it should do the same as the syringe but may be a little bit more messy.

I am still looking on ebay for naplam ;)

Sponsored Links
i wouldnt cut it first. You want the glyphosate to work as fast and as hard as possible. All the time the plant is growing well with all its leaves intact then it will absorb it better. You can apply the stuff neat and i would give it daily applications.

Funnily enough our forward thinking victorian fore fathers imported the plant as they thought it looked nice!

There's a product called root out that's good enough to kill brambles, trees etc.. Either by spraying on the leaves, or drilling into the trunk, pouring the crystals in and plugging the hole. Works a treat ! Might be what you 're looking for but you're most likely to get it from a horticultural supplier as oppsed to a garden centre.

Simon - if you read the details on the link that nstreet posted it tells you exactly which weedkillers work with knotweed and when and how best to apply them.

Good luck - looks like a nightmare. Modern triffid indeed.

Sponsored Links
Glyphosate is the stuff to use but Roundup is an expensive way to buy it if you need a largish quantity. Last time I bought 0.5 litre for £20 or roundup. I later bought 5 litres of agricultural Glyphosate for £30 at 3 times the concentration. (My dad has about 1/2 acre of the stuff and has been trying to get rid of it for about 5 years).Good luck!!

Actually got mine off ebay. But I guess an agricultural supplier may be able to help. (Just looked on ebay and noone selling it - only roundup :cry:

yeah tried all that, and searched on the net, but i get through quite a bit of the stuff and it would be handy to have a large bottleknocking around

Tumbleweed is another gysophlate based weedkiller, about a third of the price of ru for that matter. For heavens sake, get the concentrate and mix your own up, don't waste your money on the pre-mixed sprayer, you're paying £££'s for water with a single dose in it.

Also, consider your local gardeners' association, (or allotment association) they may have either at somewhat less than retail for a pretty nominal membership fee and you can get a load of stuff for the garden at these places, usually run by volunteers thus keeping the costs down.

i really hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but Jap Knotweed (very prolific in this part of the country) is evil.
It takes 5 years to kill properly with seasonal treatment.
You cannot dump it. It must be burnt.
It is illegal to take it 'off site'
If you use any 'plant' then tyres must be washed before leaving site...
its evil i tell you..
however in japan its quite happy and under control cos they have the bugs taht eat it. we dont. :confused:

dabaldie said:
however in japan its quite happy and under control cos they have the bugs taht eat it. we dont. :confused:

maybe we should try and get hold of some of these!?

Simon

and then the bugs that eat them and then the creatures that eat them... hey lets go the whole hog and get some tigers.. (they have them in japan dont they? ) :p

My previous company had this growing along the perimeter fence and our maintenace team used the usual off the shelf products such as Roundup and Tumbleweed and they were useless, being not strong enough.

We had to call a company in to apply comercial grade chemicals to do any good and had to be applied several times over a few years to get rid of it.

Also as already mentioned on no account must this plant or any part of it be moved to a tip or recycle centre.

I've noticed my neighbour has taken down all the knotweed and is putting it into a skip!!!!

Should I say anything?!

Simon

simonpearce said:
I've noticed my neighbour has taken down all the knotweed and is putting it into a skip!!!!

Should I say anything?!

Simon

It may be worth pointing out, but whether he takes any notice is a different matter, People probably put it in skips most of the time without realising what it is. Its another one of these regulations, if you would call it that, that exists but nobody knows about it.

About time they gave us a set of manuals with all of these rules and regs in
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back