Anyone run a Megaflow cylinder at 4 bar pressure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I know it invalidates the warranty.
And I know the recommended operating pressure is 3 bar.
But on a large unvented system (3 showers, 4 toilets, 4 storey house), if I was to fit a pressure reducing / fluctuations valve with a return / bypass and PVR and set it to 4 bar to match the mains pressure is that safe?
I know cylinders are pressure tested to 15 bar but has anyone actually upped the pressure slightly without blowing their house up??!

Mods note:

To comply with regulations in the UK unvented cylinders of this size can't be altered from the manufacturers specification in this way.

Whilst unlikely the potential damage from a cylinder is similar to a gas explosion therefore we will not allow posts about modifying them on the forum.

Regards

Mod

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Not only void the warranty but your home insurance as well.

Yes that's a fair point I hadn't considered. Of it did blow up. How likely is that though?

Sponsored Links
My solution to having mains pressure showers is a vented cylinder providing copious hot water at low pressure, 6 foot head, to taps.

The shower is fed with mains pressure water that is heated by passing through a coil in the top of the cylinder. A bespoke cylinder but it cost less than an un-vented cylinder.

It should be possible to produce a cylinder for an un-vented system with an extra coil for a supply at a higher pressure than the working pressure of the cylinder

220px-Dr._Bunsen_Honeydew.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back