Anyone used 'loft flooring legs' instead of cross battening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've been looking through the various posts on loft insulation and issues that arise.

I see no one has mentioned these:

Has anyone used them?

I was looking at cross batterning as i need to gain 5"~6" depth in my loft as i have 170mm insulation to fit. I already have around 20mm space from the exist joists and underflush insulation. This is only for the usual christmas trees and suitcases with out of season clothes.

The cross battering for 5"~6" deep seems to mean using 2" (or 46mm cut) wide pieces. I cant seem to find a supplier for 1.5" or something that would be stable. Thats about an extra 160kg for the 50ish metres (@ 600mm wide) i need, and thats before i put any boards down!

The above seems absolutely perfect but they dont 'feel right'. Also buy the time you use them everywhere for support it wont work out much cheaper than batterns and less practical.

Would you use treated wood for joist extensions or would non be fine?

Just looking for some experiences / opinions really. Or at least people may not have seen them before and might be a bit of a :idea: for a smaller solution.

Kind Regards

Sponsored Links
Timber cross battens are always recommend on here. Treated would be best just in case of any leaks in the future but not essential IMO unless the roof is old/vulnerable to leaks.

They don't appear to have holes to secure them to the joists - nor any way of securing the flooring to them.

Plus, at nearly £1.50 each I'm sure it'd work out quicker and cheaper to batten.

They don't appear to have holes to secure them to the joists - nor any way of securing the flooring to them.

Plus, at nearly £1.50 each I'm sure it'd work out quicker and cheaper to batten.

Sponsored Links
I also recently saw these in the new catalogue. I had been condsidering various options including extra batterns but the 7" x 2" that you would need was expensive and only came in 3.3m lengths. Weight issues aside coz I was only ever going to do a small section around my hatch.

You weren't looking at using 7x2 for its strength. Why not use something cheaper and thinner supported at regular intervals on blocks cut from the same stuff?

I like that idea but don't think it will work if you want to lay the new insualtion at 90 degrees to the original.

Hi Fella's

Thanks for the above. The attic is around 35m² so i think the cross battern is the way to go rather than the legs for the area. I figure i'm going to go with 4x1.5". Then from the lengths i'm going to part off loads of little legs, use little nail plates and cross screw. Its a bit of a pain but nothing seems a simple route.

Cheers

Hiya. The attic is 7m x 5m ish. So slightly less all round so a bit under 35m2. At 600 wide beams and around the attic access is around the 47m length. Ill have to habeas a look about for 22mm thick boarding. Cheers.

I've also just seen these legs in the new catalogue and thought they may be spot on for the job. I've been put off the battening approach purely on the basis of weight, but admittedly that was on the assumptions of needing large timbers to get the required height. I like the suggestion of thinner timber but with plates made up for stability.

I may buy a pack of these legs to see how they feel in the flesh though.

if your old timbers are typically weedy, cross battening has the benefit of spreading your weight better, and adding rigidity which can prevent cracks in the ceiling.

Sorry to raise an old thread but did anyone follow through on trying these loft legs or has everyone decided to cross batten?

They're upside-down in the main photo. You can just about make out a hole in the left-hand side of the upper plate. If you look in the inset photo where they're installed, you can just about make out the screw head. It looks like they're screwed down in two places, diagonally opposite. Or perhaps four places...

I'm looking at boarding options and before I started looking at common practice, this was exactly the solution I expected to find on the market. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's tried them too.

Dave

They look like a good idea which on further study may be a bad idea.

Unsure how often these are supposed to go, but even at a short distance they will introduce point loading on the joists below. If those joists are typical ceiling joists and you're storing a lot of weight above, they'll bow out of shape and spoil the ceiling below.

Wooden battens will spread the weight evenly and if spanning is possible, strengthen the surface rather than weaken it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back