Anything wrong with my new timber joist?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Got my brand new kiln dried, regularised C24 2" × 7" joists today, and after putting one of them up I noticed the below on it:

IMG_20161210_161850.jpg

I doubt there is anything sinister going on there but thought to double check with the forum just in case. The length is around 15cm, and it's dry and hard to the touch.

Let me know what you guys think
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
i personally would swap it and cut out the damage for use elswhere
if you dont have that option flip it so the damage is on the top under compression

Thanks for the response. It's already been doubled up with another joist, so ideally I'd avoid having to undo them. I'd like to understand what exactly it is before wasting another couple of hours :(

Sponsored Links
its where during the tree growing something has burrowed into the timber or damaged the bark as the only part off the tree thats living is the few mm under the bark so as the tree grows all that will be in the void is whatever crud falls into the void possibly mixed with sap/resin over the years
now the surrounding timber over the years will grow to gradually cover the area but only on the surface on that years new growth

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back