Anyway to fill wallpaper prior to painting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I would like to paint over some dated paper. It's a thick embossed one. There are a few damaged patches like the one I've attatched. Does any one know what kind of filler might be best?
I've tried painting the paper on a bit that can't be seen and 2 coats seem to be ok. Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_20230330_091852059.jpg
    IMG_20230330_091852059.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 31
Sponsored Links
Don't know if there is a suitable filler but bear in mind, if it is filled the texture of the filler will be different to the paper so may show up as a patch or smear.

There are all kinds of filler claimed to be suitable for filling and smoothing embossed wallpaper, I wouldn't use any of them, or paint over them. unless you want the room to look like its from the 1940s. Research steam strippers and take off the old paper, skim the exposed surface, and paint that.

Blup

The OP's painted a bit and is happy with the finish. Everyone has a different approach as to what is acceptable and what isn't. Perhaps the 1940's was the look they were going for.

Sponsored Links
Thanks people.
Don't know if there is a suitable filler but bear in mind, if it is filled the texture of the filler will be different to the paper so may show up as a patch or smear.
I'll try a small patch and see thanks.
The OP's painted a bit and is happy with the finish. Everyone has a different approach as to what is acceptable and what isn't. Perhaps the 1940's was the look they were going for.
Yes it's an old house, dado and picture rails etc. Cheers. But I thank blub for his help.
If anyone can recommend a brush for cutting in id appreciate it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back