Anyway to increase external PVC bay window sills??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for some help with damp patches on rendering. Last year I had the house rendered, this also involved removing wall tiles off the bay, rebording and rendering the window bay between floors. The problem I'm now having, is that since this work was done, the gap between the wall and the overhang of the upstairs bedroom window sill is less than a c in some places. This is now causing the rain that builds up on the sill is running off straight down the bay in the same place, causing damp patches. Is there anyway I can uncrease the overhang to stop the wate running down the front bay? Replacing the external window sill is not an option, is there a way of increasing the overhang,so the just runs straight off??

Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
A lead flashing/apron tucked between the cill and wall joint and projected outwards either under its own support (if a small projection) or with a timber lath or bead behind it to keep it off the wall

Or a row of [quary] tiles on an angle, built in below the windows cill to give the same effect

You may be able to get some sort of capping profile to fit over the cill, but I don't think a specific plastic cill type is available. A standard window board/fascia profile would work in theory, but will be too thick in practice

Hi woody

Thanks for the advice, i've included a picture that I had posted with a previous problem with the render. But from the picture, you can see how little the gap is between the sill and the bay.

View media item 15357

The proper way if not already is for it to have a 180mm cill, your exsisting is possibly only a 150mm, in addition to that it sould really of had some lead flashing under the cill and lapped down over the render with some nice scallops. Youd have to take the bay out to put in a 180mm cill though so i guess thats a no no.

The work around way is to super glue a drip mould to the front of the cill, something like this.........

https://www.rooflineonline-sales.co...nic|utmctr=eurocell&__utmv=-&__utmk=180886695

From the ground you shouldn't be able to tell but from upstairs you'll see its been extended by 20mm, no great shakes though i wouldn't of thought

Sponsored Links
The bay was previously covered with tiles and it did have the scallop lead flashing. Should have realised this at the time,and got him to put it back up. As for the edging, could I fit 175mm x 9mm capping boards over the existing sill and extend the overhang out on all 3 sides of the bay? http://tinyurl.com/2v7rhwr

No as you'd cover the concealed drainage, this would then cause any water that does get past the rubber gasket to drain backwards, possibly between the window and cill and into your bedroom, don't ever block drainage holes :!:

Thanks for the advice with this one, I'll add it to my list of jobs, that is getting bigger by the day!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back