Apex window - structural support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Up front disclosure - i am an SE myself! There is plenty of experience on these forums so i am looking to see if i'm overthinking something.

I have an almost full glazed gable to frame up, but it has about 1m of masonry above it. I've done a frame with a bottom plate on the rafters to poke out and support the outer leaf, so far so 'normal'. The pitch is getting on for 45 degree, and the outer leaf is rendered block with a cast stone head over the window.

At that pitch I am concerned about the narrow 1m band of masony 'sliding' down the pitch - not so much the inner which would butt into the columns (i have extended them up to rafter level), but certainly the outer and the stone head. Theres only about 900mm of wall left each side to buttress it, and obviously the render is not going to be forgiving to any movement. Am i overthinking this? :confused:. If it was standard masonry i would maybe weld some 'steps' onto the beam (brickies would despair of me no doubt) but i can't because of the stone head?

Sponsored Links
Effectively we are doing that, just made by a steel fab rather than keystone/catnic. I see on that link though they have welded gusset plates to stop sliding - that is exactly the kind of thing i was considering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back