Apollo 15/30 B bolier problems.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if anyone can offer me some advice. The pilto light went out last week. Despite many efforts to get it started again it would not stay on after I had ignited it and released the gas valve.
Called a friend out who is Corgi reg - he replaced the thermocouple. The bolier worked for a few days and now it has stopped working.

I can get the pilot light on and it fires up starting hot water and heating but goes out after 5 minutes. There is a click sound before if goes out.

My friend has bought a replacement gas valve which he is fitting tomorrow. Do you think that this will finally solve the problem.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you think that this will finally solve the problem.
Probably not. I would check that the pilot light flame was adequate and that the overheat cut-out (if there is one) wasn't tripping and cutting the pilot light. Gas valves are a bit pricey for speculative changing.

Those boilers are quite old now, and the condition of all parts would be dubious. However because the parts are relatively cheap I would suggest to you that you have a new low and hi limit stat fitted (not because they are the cause, but because they are reasonably priced and likely to be in very poor condition), a new overheat stat (which may be the problem) with new leeds (which may equally be the problem) and new thermocouple (ditto), adjustment of pilot flame and a full service as a basic starting point, If then the gas valve were required I would still recommend doiing it as the boiler is vertually fully reconditioned.

The problem can be diagnosed with test equipment very easily. However all the above is worthwhile and cheap to do.

Keep it going as long as you can if you want to stay energy efficient, because the new steamers cost so much to the environment to produce and out of your wallet, so you have to spend fortunes travelling to work to pay for them, that the most energy efficient option is to buy the handfull of cheap parts which would fully recondition your boiler from an era when technology was sensibly applied, and noit a knee jerk reaction to government dictatorships.,.

I have a very similar problem... My pilot light went out. It will light but when i "slowly" let go of the gas vavle the light goes out!

I have replaced the thermocouple and put a new jet in as the old jet appeared to be very cristy and had burnt a hole through the top of itself!

Could anyone explain if there a "reset" feature on this boiler and how it works?

Any ideas would help tremondously

Sponsored Links
Get a corgi in before you blow the boiler up (quite possible), cause a gas leak (very common) or kill yourself by slow poisoning (Apollos have killed a lot of people).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back