Apollo Fanfare boiler wont fire up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I adjust to the timer to continous (or if it is timed to come on) you can hear the fan running but nothing else happens.

No clicks etc as if it is even trying to fire up.

I removed the PCB to check for anything obvious but nothing there.

I also had a new solenoid fitted a few months ago by an engineer but I do not know if it was the pilot light or the boiler one that was changed although I do know the physical location of the one that was changed.

Any ideas ?

Anything I could check or test, bearing in mind I am not a CH engineer, although I do feel comfortable checking wires and voltages with a multimeter as long as I am told where to ckeck.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
look and listen when the stat is demanding heat the valve should motor over

try a screwdriver between the casing and your ear while err indoors turns the stat up ;)

look and listen when the stat is demanding heat the valve should motor over

try a screwdriver between the casing and your ear while err indoors turns the stat up ;)
Thanks for the help so far KP.

Can you just confirm :

when I look at the valve and move the stat, the motorised lever should move ?

I am not sure what you mean with the screwdriver between the casing.What am I supposed to be doing here/ listening for ?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

the lever wont move

your listening for the motor driving the valve ;)

don't be sorry

if we all knew everything this forum would cease to be :LOL:

and it gives me something to do while she plays in the front yard ;)

the lever wont move

your listening for the motor driving the valve ;)

don't be sorry

if we all knew everything this forum would cease to be :LOL:

and it gives me something to do while she plays in the front yard ;)

There seems to be 2 valves, each with a little silver box (stamped Honeywell 8838 and Honeywell 8837) with a lever.

When the stat is moved, both boxes give a slight click and then run.

One of the levers moves and the other remains still when the stat is turned back down agian.

When I adjust to the timer to continous (or if it is timed to come on) you can hear the fan running but nothing else happens.

No clicks etc as if it is even trying to fire up.

First thing i would be looking at to test is the air pressure switch, aps.

As the fan is running a call for heat is being received at the boiler, but the fan has not been reconised as spinning (proved), so the pcb will not allow the ignition cycle to progess further.

ok chech the orange wire for live when the stat is calling for heat

err ive been in strattons with the bikers all afternoon :LOL: :LOL: ;)

so dont ask :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back