Apologies...another (simple) bonding question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd be very grateful for a little advice on what I think is a fairly simple bonding question.

My new partitioned en-suite will have:

Heated towel rail (zone 2 compliant)
Shaver-point and light
Fan (nowhere near zone 2)
Double insulated down-lighters (no earth)
Plastic pipes, non-electric mixer shower
Nothing else metal or electric

What do I bond to what and with what?

(LABC notified and will be inspecting)

Many thanks,
Rob

Sponsored Links
We are now in the time where we are installing to Wiring Regulations 17th edition.

I assume the wires in the walls of your bathroom are less than 50mm from the surface? (most are)

In that case the circuits will need to be protected by an RCD/RCBO.

Also, if you are doing electrical work, the main bonding must be brought up to current standards.

I guesss you know all this? Your LABC will (or should!)

17th edition states that you do not need supplementary bonding; if all circuits entering the bathroom are RCD protected and your main bonding is up to scratch.

Thank you for the reply, although I don't understand it.

When you said
"Also, if you are doing electrical work, the main bonding must be brought up to current standards",
what did you mean by the "main bonding?"

Cheers

We are now in the time where we are installing to Wiring Regulations 17th edition.

I assume the wires in the walls of your bathroom are less than 50mm from the surface? (most are)

In that case the circuits will need to be protected by an RCD/RCBO.

All circuits in a special location require protection by RCD regardless of 50mm depth.

Sponsored Links
what did you mean by the "main bonding?"

Cheers

The main protective bonding conductor runs between the main earthing terminal and incoming services such as gas, water and oil must be the correct size.
The main earthing conductor between the supply and the main earth terminal also must be of the correct size.

Thanks. So are you saying that when my work on the new en-suite is checked they will have to also ensure that my main bonding is up to date?

My CU was new last year and is RCD protected with MCBs for each circuit. The spark also replaced the tails and the earth cable at the CU. Not aure about the main bonding conductor though. I shall check.

In my en-suite, the wiring is very simple as you will see above, but I'm not sure where to bond, if anywhere?

Cheers

So are you saying that when my work on the new en-suite is checked they will have to also ensure that my main bonding is up to date?
as far as i recall before doing any electrical work you should check the earthing and main bonding are up to scratch, so yes.

Not aure about the main bonding conductor though. I shall check.
it is most likely he did (he should hav), but do check.

My CU was new last year and is RCD protected with MCBs for each circuit.
the regulations changed this year so (generally) new cables <50mm depth and all new cables in the bathroom are to be protected by a 30mA (0.03A) RCD, it is likely that your lighting (and thus bathroom) circuits are not RCD protected. if this is the case IMO the best way to rectify this is to put an RCBO (MCB and RCD combined) on that circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back