apologies what sealant to use external use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fixing a patio cover to the back of my house and it recommends using chalk to seal the bar that is fixed to the wall (see image of the unit) to stop leaks / water . what type of silicon/sealant should i use. I have used stuff in the bathroom but never bought for outdoor use

they have well reviewed stuff at amazon

Everbuild 175 Everflex Premium Universal Acrylic Sealant - White - 300 ml

will that be ok?

Palram_Patio_Covers_Sierra_3x4.25_Grey_Clear_CutOut-1024x819 (1).jpg

Sponsored Links
Acrylic tends to harden and crack. Definitely not chalk or even caulk.

Polymer or silicone.

Sponsored Links
I would be so tempted to not bother.
Limted amount of rain will go down that gap - same amount as is hitting wall now.
And if yo put silicon on your wall/bricks - it will perminatly stain them - to be considered if you might remove the patio cover in the future.

What Benny said was 'don't use the screwfix own brand', the link I provided is very good, I have used it many times and always carry a couple of tubes in the van.

Andy

not a fan of ‘no nonsense’ stuff.
cheap crap.

Nor am I, I only recommended it because I don't know how price conscious the OP is. Personally I normally use CT1 because it is a available in several colours.

i am quite price conscious but i want a sealer etc that will last - the unit also requires part of the guttering to be sealed so would rather use something that will last

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back