Silicone sealant, types and what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a small leak on shower tray, tried getting builder back, but seems not working at moment, so among my stuff I found a tube of silicone sealant which had not gone hard so I tried sealing the tray, loads left in the tube, and the beading on the camping trailer was for every falling off, so I also stuck on the beading with same silicone sealant, so yesterday after silicone sealant had been on trailer for two days I took it to sons to continue moving house, through some torrential rain, on arriving I found a milky like stuff running off trailer, the torrential rain had it seems dissolved some of the silicone sealant, it seems it is water soluble, at least it is after just 2 days, so now it is what do I do with the shower. Will the stuff dry in the end, or does it all need to come off?

Found tube Perfect Seal Frame and Door Flexible Acrylic Sealant perfect for sealing around * doors * Aluminium * uPVC doors and frames white F-28548

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You need sanitary sllicone which contains a mould inhibitor.

There is acetoxy silicone and neutral cure. Acetoxy sets quicker, and smells of strong vinegar as it sets, but is preferred for internal work. But if you have certain materials that may be affected by bleed, a neutral cure should be used.

Silicone should never dissolve in water even before it’s set. Are you sure it’s silicone and not some kind of acrylic/mastic/caulk?

Sponsored Links
Silicone should never dissolve in water even before it’s set. Are you sure it’s silicone and not some kind of acrylic/mastic/caulk?
Sorry updating as you wrote
Perfect Seal Frame and Door Flexible Acrylic Sealant perfect for sealing around * doors * Aluminium * uPVC doors and frames white F-28548
thing is do I now need to remove what is left, and how.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back