App Controlled/Smart Room Thermostat Options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an electrical issue with my heating in that the room stat switches the heating on even if it's off at the control panel so I'm unable to set a programme for it. I need to have my boiler and rads replaced (it's an old system) but this has got to wait a year or so until I have more cash available so figured an app controlled room stat would be a temporary fix to the issue.

After spending a fair while searching the web it seems most are designed to replace both the control panel and stat (Nest/Hive etc.) and others seem to work with matching TRV's.

Can anyone suggest an option(s) for a simple replacement for my room stat (a Potterton PRT 2) that can be controlled from my mobile (Android) whilst I'm out of the house?

I've looked at the ESI ESRTP5WiFi Stat, would this fit the bill?

Edit: Forgot to mention, the system is vented Y-Plan with a Potterton Prima F boiler.

Thanks folks.

Sponsored Links
It is possible that your existing programmer is faulty, but far more likely that you have a valve fault on your mid position valve so changing the programmer wont make any difference

It is possible that your existing programmer is faulty, but far more likely that you have a valve fault on your mid position valve so changing the programmer wont make any difference

My 3 port valve failed a year or so ago (someone told me previously that could be the issue) and has been replaced but still have the issue.

If my current room stat has control of the heating (irrespective of the control panel being on or off) then surely an app controlled stat would do the same. I adjust the temp up it comes on, down it goes off. Would this not be the case?

If my current room stat has control of the heating (irrespective of the control panel being on or off)
If it does then it is not wired correctly, the control panel as you call it, is a programmer and the room thermostat can not over ride the programmer if wired properly

Sponsored Links
If it does then it is not wired correctly, the control panel as you call it, is a programmer and the room thermostat can not over ride the programmer if wired properly

Yes, as I said previously I've got electrical issues with the system. I'll get that sorted when I have the boiler & rads replaced.
I'm looking at replacing the stat for one with app control so I can switch on when I'm out as an interim measure.

My sincere apologies for call the programmer a control panel!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back