Options to replace room thermostats with web enabled thermostats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the following:

- air source heat pump (daikin altherma)
- wet underfloor heating (3 zone) downstairs
- radiators upstairs
- 3 room stats downstairs (heatmiser wired), with a controller box (looks made on site) for ufh
- 1 room stat upstairs for the rads (some bonco brand wired)
- there is an switching actuator which diverts between underfloor and rads next to the tank.

I want to be able to control it remotely, especially as I'm away for several days at a time, and the underfloor takes a day or so to heat the house. So being able to flip it on the day before makes sense.

I've looked at the options from Daikin but will cost almost £1500..

I don't really want to replace the controllers for the ufh, nor control the heat pump (that just runs on demand of the tank/heating right?).

In my mind, I just want to replace the room stats (the 3 for the underfloor, and one for the rads), without having a new centralised control centre. As far as I know (and I don't know a lot), these wired stats are simply switches which click on/off based on individual timers and temperature ranges. What are the options for replacing just these? Without replacing the whole setup. Presumably a switch is a switch, but it seems everything in terms of smart controls are geared towards controlling the boiler through a centralised system, which I dont really want (because I don't want to replace the existing controllers).

Sponsored Links
Tado sounds ideal in this situation.

The smart thermostats are able to either be directly wired (they have a relay) or be wireless on a control channel with an extension kit if required.

if you simply want to enable or disable your existing controls remotely (and here I am assuming via t'interWeb), then perhaps consider wiring a SonOff switch in series with each roomstat (4 required at about £15 each), or maybe using just two to interrupt the 'call for heat' outputs from the 3 port valve (that you described near the cylinder) and hot water demand.
Adding more features adds complexity, so define precisely what you want the system to do (and not do). Remember, UFH takes several hours to heat up, rads much less time. More sophisticated switches (Tado, Nest, Hive, etc) will have geo-switching to enable auto switching based on the location of your mobile device.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back