Thermostat replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into my new house recently to find the downstairs underfloor heating system (gas boiler, Ideal Logic+ System s18) is controlled by four “nightmare” thermostats in lounge, kitchen, hall and utility room. The stats are Speedfit Aura. I've had several attempts to program them, but can't get my head around setting temperatures for the SEVEN different time zones plus all the other variables I need to consider. They are just far too sophisticated for my requirements.

So I want to replace them all with simple dial-controlled stats in each of the rooms.

Questions:

(a) Can they simply be replaced with "ordinary" stats, or does underfloor heating make it more complex?

(b) Is it a DIY job or should I get a qualified electrician?

Sponsored Links
Nothing complicated about it at all they are simply a switch, the stats dont directly control the boiler, the stats tell the corrosponding Zone valves to open or close, these valves in turn control the boiler, you can do it your self if you want nothing hard about it, but if you plan on staying in the same house for a while then consider smart controls where they replace the existing stats and you can control everything from your smart phone, laptop, notepad or whatever from anywhere in the world instead of running up and down stairs

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Nothing complicated about it at all they are simply a switch, the stats dont directly control the boiler, the stats tell the corrosponding Zone valves to open or close, these valves in turn control the boiler, you can do it your self if you want nothing hard about it, but if you plan on staying in the same house for a while then consider smart controls where they replace the existing stats and you can control everything from your smart phone, laptop, notepad or whatever from anywhere in the world instead of running up and down stairs
Nothing complicated about it, is the type of comment someone who is familiar with them, would make.
Reading a book is not complicated. But someone has to teach/show you how to do it correctly first.
At the other end of the scale, nuclear physics is a doddle to someone who has been taught the subject, but ask an electrician/mechanical engineer to sort something out and even they will be flummoxed.

It's much better if someone gives step by step advice/instructions to a question rather than suggest they use a smart phone to control things. I will hold my hands up and state here and now, I hate anything that you have to use a smart phone to control. I'm in my mid 60's and like doing things the old fashion way. I am too old to get a masters degree telecommunications to control switching a light on in my own home. I've tried using apps but it simply does not work for me. It doesn't help that different phone providers seem to have different sub-menus to each other, and the instructions given with the appliance don't always tally up with your phone, even though it's a 'smart' phone.

Nothing complicated about it, is the type of comment someone who is familiar with them, would make.
You are on a DIY site which means that you want to do it yourself , if you want a step by step instruction then ask elsewhere, seldom have I seen such a rude reply to a professional offering you their advice for free, next time state what you actually want and see if anyone will advise you ,

Goodbye

Sponsored Links
Reading a book is not complicated. But someone has to teach/show you how to do it correctly first.
At the other end of the scale, nuclear physics is a doddle to someone who has been taught the subject, but ask an electrician/mechanical engineer to sort something out and even they will be flummoxed.

It's much better if someone gives step by step advice/instructions to a question rather than suggest they use a smart phone to control things. I will hold my hands up and state here and now, I hate anything that you have to use a smart phone to control. I'm in my mid 60's and like doing things the old fashion way. I am too old to get a masters degree telecommunications to control switching a light on in my own home. I've tried using apps but it simply does not work for me. It doesn't help that different phone providers seem to have different sub-menus to each other, and the instructions given with the appliance don't always tally up with your phone, even though it's a 'smart' phone.

Saying you have difficulty using smart devices and apps on a forum which is accessed with a smart device and an app is, well, a little odd. Better perhaps that the original poster heed the chap who knows how things work than the correspondent who declares he or she doesn't using the media they say they hate and can't use. What sub-menus from phone providers have to do with underfloor heating control options I'm not sure.

You are on a DIY site which means that you want to do it yourself , if you want a step by step instruction then ask elsewhere, seldom have I seen such a rude reply to a professional offering you their advice for free, next time state what you actually want and see if anyone will advise you ,

Goodbye

Beat me to it!

Goodbye
Hang on, conny isn't the OP

Then if you are a professional give him the advice he is asking for, not an alternative because you don't want to go through the steps with him.

Apologies if you think I was being rude, it was not meant to be, but I am entitled to an opinion and it irks me personally if I ask for advice about something and the response is to do it completely differently to what the, (seemingly complicated), instructions say.

Last edited:
Having an internet search of John Guest (JG) Aura there’s ones that control heating and hot water, is this what you have?

Then if you are a professional give him the advice he is asking for, not an alternative because you don't want to go through the steps with him.
I already did but you jumped in to the conversation , just because your situation is as you described does not mean that the OP is the same position as your goodself

For under floor heating there are two temperatures, the room temperature and floor temperature clearly needs to be low enough to walk on.

To methods, one a sensor in the floor, the other is to limit the water temperature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back