Wall thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wall thermostat in my hall. It is only used to set the required heating temperature, a separate programmer controls heating on and off.
I would like to change it for a wireless room stat that can be moved around the house and also have temperature control available on phone via app.
I've looked at salus products but reviews aren't the best, is there a hive system that would give me what I need, portable room stat with app control only need to adjust temperature when heating on?

Sponsored Links
It's not a good idea to move the room thermostat around. There will probably only be one suitable location in which it will work properly. Also the room in which the room thermostat is located should not have a TRV fitted to the radiator. You can't have two devices in the same room trying to do the same thing. One will interfere with the operation of the other. This is why most thermostats (ie Hive) are designed to be fixed in place.

The positioning of the room thermostat is critical to the correct operation of the system. It should have overall control of the system, because it will save energy by shutting everything down when the ideal temperature is reached.

The room thermostat should be in a cool room, ideally the last to warm up. That way the other rooms will be warm enough, (but not overheated because of their TRV’s) before the room thermostat switches the entire heating system off.

Secondly it should be in a room that is not effected by other sources of heat such as an open fire, cooking equipment, or direct sunlight etc. It should not be somewhere draughty or too close to a window, especially if it's one that is opened in the winter.

At least one radiator in the room with the thermostat installed should not have a TRV fitted. Otherwise the TRV may prevent the room thermostat from working properly.

The thermostat should be mounted about 1.5 metres from the floor, and not close to, or above a radiator.

Preferably it should not be on an outside wall, (although if you have well insulated walls, this is not quite so crucial.)

It should be in an area where air can circulate easily, not in a corner, or hidden behind curtains, or furniture.

Thanks for the reply. The room stat is currently in my hall way bottom of the staircase, one rad no trv.
As only my wife and I are in the house most of the time the rooms we use or sit in on an evening can be warm and the hall still cold as the one rad is trying to heat a large area including up the stairs and landing, so the thermostat gets turned down, other tags have trv's but the wife would be for ever turning them off and on, I've tried explaining but it's not happening!
Similarly because of the postion of my house if we get easterly winds the back of the house which we use a lot can be cooler than the front of the house including the hall which means the thermostat can cut off and the rooms still be cold, hence the idea of a wireless/portable room stat that can be used to give better control of the rooms we are in and not just dependant on the temp in the hall and she's not messing about with trv's.

Or can I get a hive wall mounted start that allows app/smart control of the temp?

Sponsored Links
The hall sounds the ideal place, and consider larger radiators installed in the part of the house exposed to the easterly winds. Proper use of TRV's in those areas would then stop them being overheated when the wind wasn't blowing. :)

If you move the thermostat into the aforesaid cooler areas with the radiators as they are now meaning that they take a lot of heating, and don't have the TRV's in the other rooms set properly, those rooms will be overheated, and there will be no thermostatic control in the hall at all.

It's all about understanding how the system works and using it correctly.

Or can I get a hive wall mounted start that allows app/smart control of the temp?

Yes you can do that. Stats that are app linked give both time and temperature control and the existing programmer/timeswitch would become redundant.

Thanks I understand what you're saying, it's trying to convince the wife and others how the system works is the issue
I think the route will be replace existing wall stat with a hive fixed stat that she can control via her phone on the app. I'll set the trv's then that should do.

My wireless thermostats IMGP8035.jpg EQ-3 Bluetooth Smart Radiator Thermostat.jpg do work well, but I do not move them from room to room. It seems the Drayton Wiser TRV has algorithms built in that works out how long it takes to heat the room, my IMGP8035.jpg is rather OTT with the anti-hysteresis software, to the extent I cheat and set to 22°C for an hour then back to 20°C.

But as to how each make works, no one is likely to have a mixture so no one is likely to be able to say this one is better than that one. In hind sight paying £38 each for these IMGP8035.jpg compared to £15 for these EQ-3 Bluetooth Smart Radiator Thermostat.jpg I would go for the cheap bluetooth head rather than the expensive wifi one, yes the expensive one will geofence, but I tend to turn off whole system when I leave house, so does not matter what the TRV does if boiler not running.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back