Appeal for advice Laying Amtico

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am about to lay a small area - 4sq m - of Amtico floor tiles in a bathroom, on a sound wooden floor, but before I set about it I would like some guidance from the experts on the actual fixing of the tiles using 2 x part adhesive! I think I will be OK with the preparatory work: laying, fixing and feathering 6mm marine ply over the entire area.

What is the best way/technique for the actual placing and laying of the tiles to ensure a perfect and professional finish without gaps?

Expert advice would be gratefully received :D

Sponsored Links
If you are sure you've got all the preparation work done correctly ie. in accordance with Amtico recommendations then actual laying of the tiles should be straightforward.

Normally Amtico PS adhesive is ok.

Are you laying tiles or wood plank?
Is there a border or is it just a straight lay?
Is the toilet/washbasin stand still in the room?
Are there any curves to cut around?

If you are sure you've got all the preparation work done correctly ie. in accordance with Amtico recommendations then actual laying of the tiles should be straightforward.

Normally Amtico PS adhesive is ok.

Are you laying tiles or wood plank?
Is there a border or is it just a straight lay?
Is the toilet/washbasin stand still in the room?
Are there any curves to cut around?

Many thanks for your reply.

I am laying 12"x12" x 2.5mm LH11 tiles, room is clear and there are no curves. I might include a simple 25mm geometric border.

Thnx Rick

If you are laying tiles with a border then start from the centre and work out.

Always dry lay your tiles first.

Centre your room and if you laying on the diamond start with a tile that touches your centre lines at all four corners. Then work outwards until you reach the position where the border is to go. You will normally have full tiles and half tiles around the edge. If the layout doesn't look right for any reason then now is the time you can adjust but if the room is square then your borders should be equidistant. If the room is oblong then obviously the two opposite sides should be the same.

Depending on which Amtico you are using you may find the tiles difficult to cut especially corner to corner. That is why Amtico recommend a professional fitter who will have the right equipment.

Just be careful with a border as it can "bring the room in" so to speak.
Sometimes it is better just to do a straight lay - taking the tiles to the perimeter.

Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Hello Floorman

Many thanks for your very useful advice/tips! So far so good! Let's say I'm now ready to lay ..... I have combed sufficient adhesive - using the regulation trowel - onto the ply substrate and about to place my first and successive tiles.

Query number 1 - I understand that once placed the nature of the adhesive will not allow me to slide the tile into position? ie it has to be bang in position/place?

Query number 2 - So when laying/placing a tile how do I ensure the edges of the tiles are butted up ie there are no gaps - before the tile plops into place?

Many thanks Rick

you need to make sure the tiles go in tight, hold in place with masking tape and work on top of a sheet of plywood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back