Filling joints between plywood sheets before laying Amtico

4 Sep 2009
Reaction score
United Kingdom

We have just built an extension for the kitchen and I am going to lay 40m2 of Amtico tiles. I have put 8x4 sheets of 6mm ext ply down but wanted to know what to fill the gaps with.

I have laid Karndean tiles before but over a much smaller area so managed to get away without there being any gaps.

Any advice appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Use car filler, (P38) doesn't shrink and quick to dry and sand down to a perfect finish.

Don't over do the hardener in this hot weather or it will go hard before you've had a chance to spread it in.

the product designed for the job is skim coat.

FBALL 500 its trade name from fball. Not sure what other companys call it.
Karndean also supply it, i think they call it "skim coat"

This may be of use to you -

its pictures and a written guide of how to use and prep a wooden + concrete subfloor. Skimcoat is being used halfway down the page.
Sponsored Links
Sorry Andy, i meant the sub-floor !! Is it timber joists or concrete etc ?

I presume timber joists if was screwed and glued.
Yes, it's timber joists. I assume you wanted to know because of the flexibility of timber joists?
Oh that's fine.. no i was wondering because a lot of extensions have concrete subfloors which cause problems without dpm's etc.

As mattysupra said, it's f-ball 500 you need, They don't sell it direct but have a list of suppliers or internet to buy it from

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links