Applying for a dropped kerb outside the driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're about to start this process, but the application basically says if we get the measurements wrong then we can be charged for it.

Dimension A is the number of kerbs that need to be adjusted. In our case 5 kerbs, 92cm each so 4.6mtr

Dimension B i take is the width of the pavement.

Now i know this will start at the very end of our drive & where the pavement begins (so as our drive touches the pavement), but where does it stop?

Would you say the measurement would stop when the pavement meets the kerb, but not including the kerb?
Or including the kerb?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You're making your driveway 4.6 metres wider than it already is? That's.. quite a wide driveway..

I'd presume it doesn't include the width of the kerb stones because they're already there.. they just need sinking. That said, when I put values in just now of:

New crossing (so A=driveway width)
4m wide dimension A
3m wide dimension B (pavement depth)

It was £1543

And when I changed dimension B to 3.1 to give 100 mm for the kerbstone top it shot up a whole £50 to £1593

Bit of a drop in the ocean, those final 10 centimetres, eh? Just apply for the longer dimension then they can't have any complaints.. Or write to them and ask :)

Or write to them and ask :)
blank65x10t.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif

Or go into the council offices with photos and measurements, and ask. Contrary to what the more cynical/world-weary people here might tell you, council employees don't arrive at work in the mornings looking forward to ****ing people over.

They may though look forward to charging you an outrageous sum for a few hours digging.

[TIP]If the pavement is slabs, not tarmac, ask the guys to leave any intact slabs behind - they don't re-use them, and they might come in useful to you at some point.[/TIP]

You're making your driveway 4.6 metres wider than it already is? That's.. quite a wide driveway..
No the drive has always been the drive. Beforehand it was pavers & grass, now it's just total pavers, but the drive is still the same dimension from front to back & from neighbouring wall to neighbouring wall.

We had a wall at the front of the drive (which separated the drive from the pavement) knocked down as we're a 2 car family & want both cars on the drive & off the road where i see neighbours doing 100 point turns.

Part of the kerb has already been dropped to allow access to our drive. What we want is for the rest of the kerb in front of our drive (4.6mtr worth of kerb (5 kerbs)) to be dropped too.

I'd presume it doesn't include the width of the kerb stones because they're already there.. they just need sinking. That said, when I put values in just now of:

New crossing (so A=driveway width)
4m wide dimension A
3m wide dimension B (pavement depth)

It was £1543
What i did was

A (number of kerbs to be dropped, or rather length of kerbs to be dropped) = 4.6 mtr
B (width of pavement - haven't measured, but guessed 1.0mtr).

Came out just under £600. Bit of a difference.

Or write to them and ask :)
We're wanting this done ASAP. The house next door has sold. The owner of that was parking across our drive. We want it dropped before the new neighbours come in just in case they're a funny sort as once it's dropped it's dropped, job done & they can't get used to parking across our drive.

Sponsored Links
Other people may like to throw their days off away so easily but i don't.

When you work 60+ hour weeks, time off is much needed.

Anyway, turns out the measurement is 1.9m/2.0m (1.94 including kerb, but they say it's to 1 decimal, which is 1.9 but no doubt the council would whinge that 1.9 is less than 1.94 & we should go for 2.0). This results in the quote being £1100.

So for that it can wait & we can write off. Gutted.

I can't work out what you're gutted about.

The fact that it's £1100 when it might only have been £1050?

The fact that it's £1100 now that you've actually bothered to measure things rather than £600 based on guesswork?

I'm not fluent in abbreviations. I can do the lol etc but when you start getting fancy....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back