Garden to drive permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

New to this forum hope this is the right palace to get some generic advise and views

We are about to buy and have had an offer accepted on a country property but currently only has parking on the road in front of it however the front garden is big enough for at least 3 cars if not 4 now I understand I can turn the garden into the drive as long as I use a material that drains away which is fine was just going to use gravel to Keep it low cost

My question is regarding the kerb issue and pavement

The garden in essence ends at the road there is no obvious kerb or pavement it just goes from my fence then behind it is the start of the road tarmac and a tiny bit of grass.

so can I clarify, could I just remove my fence and that's it or do I still need councils permission becuse if I create a drive what's stopping other people blocking it.

Where I would be entering my new drive is essence where we or other people in the few houses would park currently.

Attach a very bad picture of the transition from road to fence.

Attachments

• IMG_4106.JPG
    IMG_4106.JPG
    249.1 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Imagine you were me. Would you understand the information provided here?

Imagine you were me. Would you understand the information provided here?

Sorry what information you require explained the situation have edited a few of the grammar mistakes

Do you own the verge? if not it will likely be council land - there is a process that will allow you to us a section for access.

Is the road public or privately owned ?

You should speak to the council planning team about a new drive way access - They should provide a chat free of charge and this can save you a lot of angst (and cost)

I know a lot of people open up thier gardens for hard standing without consulting the council, but you should do it properly. If you want to enforce any parking that blocks your drive then you need it to be an authorized driveway access.

Regards using gravel as the surface - Yes it is can be very cheap - but it can "look very cheap" after just a year or two. The gravel starts to darken as moss etc grows in it, it can spill out onto the road, and often weeds take hold. That said, if you look after it, gravel can look good.

Sponsored Links
Do you own the verge? if not it will likely be council land - there is a process that will allow you to us a section for access.

Is the road public or privately owned ?

You should speak to the council planning team about a new drive way access - They should provide a chat free of charge and this can save you a lot of angst (and cost)

I know a lot of people open up thier gardens for hard standing without consulting the council, but you should do it properly. If you want to enforce any parking that blocks your drive then you need it to be an authorized driveway access.

Regards using gravel as the surface - Yes it is can be very cheap - but it can "look very cheap" after just a year or two. The gravel starts to darken as moss etc grows in it, it can spill out onto the road, and often weeds take hold. That said, if you look after it, gravel can look good.

Thanks Geoff

The road is a public road and the little bit of verge if you can call it that is not mine but I think it's just where weeds and stuff have taken hold in essence the Tarmac for the road starts almost straight away after the fence.

I will speak to the council and go form there, I want to do it properly and not upset any neighbours.

Regarding the gravel thanks for the advice I will look down the blocked paving route

Thanks

Dave

Normally you would apply for permission to have a drop kerb installed by an approved contractor.
You seem to be rural so no kerb but as said you probably need written permission to ensure access.

Possibly look at houses up and down the road to see if anybody else has done the same.

Yes a dropped kerb application really. Look at your local authority's website for dropped kerb applications all the information including the forms, the cost, what they expect to be submitted with the application and most important;y the criteria by which they will determine your application. You will be able to read that guidance and get a very good idea if your application will be acceptable or not. I can't see you getting anywhere by trying to speak with anyone from the council they will merely direct you to all of the information that is already online as I have just described.

Yes a dropped kerb application really. Look at your local authority's website for dropped kerb applications all the information including the forms, the cost, what they expect to be submitted with the application and most important;y the criteria by which they will determine your application. You will be able to read that guidance and get a very good idea if your application will be acceptable or not. I can't see you getting anywhere by trying to speak with anyone from the council they will merely direct you to all of the information that is already online as I have just described.

Thanks will take a look, i fully aware that if there was a kerb and a pavement i would have to go though them but there is no kerb and no pavement its direct from road to my fence with a very tiny bit of weeds and grass (likely just to be where its taken hold)

Thanks All

Well actually they're actually called Domestic Vehicle Crossings, that is an application to cross the footway or highway verge to gain access to your property however they're often refereed to as dropped kerb applications and the actual process of dropping the kerb has little to do with whether permission would be granted or not.

And if its a designated road you might need Planning Permission to form a crossover.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back