Driveway drainage ideas to avoid planning permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
8D9BAF55-CD37-459D-AE4B-BA5775F03664.jpeg
D77D0E20-2468-4FE0-B62B-B271133896D8.jpeg
Hi,

Looking to replace current half concrete/half tarmac drive (we had the tarmac installed but it wasn’t done very well) to a new drive and trying to adhere to where wouldn’t need planning permission.

With that in mind, with the size of my drive being approx 7 metres by 6ish metres there isn’t really anywhere could put a soakaway as know they need to be 5 metres from building or road.

I have spoken to contractors and most of them won’t do permeable block paving. Now I said about not being able to put a soakaway in etc and one contractor (who has got very good reviews) told me I wouldn’t need one anyway as water still drains through the block paving??? Was a bit confused by this as my understanding is that would only be the case if it was specific permeable block paving?

Anyways I know on the planning portal it says if water is directed to a lawn or border so thought if had normal block paving perhaps I could encorporate a area where can put some turf back in to allow for water to run down (slight slope) and also put a aco drain at the base of where slopes as dropped kerb and pipe could feed into own area?

But then reading into the guidance on planning portal it says about rain gardens being 3 metres away from a building in which case the edge would be about 5/6 feet away from next door.

Other option I thought I could do half gravel and half block paving but install fence at end where the gravel is to try and stop it leaving and going onto pavement/road and creating issues this way. Then at bottom where dropped kerb is have aco drain again directed to gravel area?

Where the tarmac currently is, this was previously a lawn area.

Would any of these ideas work, just want to make sure not falling foul of current regulations and also the water going to garden isn’t going to cause problems for next door (left side).

Might be massively overthinking ha but want it done right as paid to have tarmac done couple of years ago and firstly it has got dips and overall looks rubbish now but also the contractor put water run off to a small soak-away right in far left corner which I think is too close to next door.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back