applying heavy wallpaper to mirrors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have a room which has a fine built-in wardrobe all along one wall. Each of the five sliding doors has two framed panels and in each of these these is a mirror. Now this would be OK if this room was being used as a bedroom perhaps but it's now a study. So I want to apply a suitable heavy paper over the mirror inside each panel. (It so happens that the wallpaper that looks best is a heavy one.)

The trouble is: wallpaper won't paste well to glass, will it? I don't want to sand the mirrors or remove them. The next occupant might like to remove the wallpaper and enjoy the mirrors again.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eddy.

Sponsored Links
Sand mirrors?

Thanks. Good thinking! BUT . . . the next occupant of this room wouldn't be able to remove the wallpaper and enjoy the mirrors.

I'm wondering now about criss-crossing the mirrors with double-sided tape. I think that might work given the paper is heavy and quite stiff . . . but it could be hell getting all that double-sided tape off one day.

Next idea I have had since posting is that maybe using something other than normal wallpaper paste might work, something like PVA. But I don't know how easy it would be later to take the paper off without damaging the mirrors.

Eddy.

You could try border adhesive which is thicker.
Is it your place or rented?If its your then the next tennants decor isn't your problem

Sponsored Links
"Border adhesive" sounds interesting. Haven't heard of it before. Have done a Google search and found Solvite do it:
http://www.makingdiyeasier.co.uk/solvite/overlapborder.html

Do you reckon this will stick heavy paper to glass?

Re. the sticky-back plastics, unfortunately I've already bought a roll of suitable paper (cost £20!) but did look at the sticky-back plastics beforehand but there wasn't anything with a suitable finish or suitable design.

Thanks,
Eddy.

Try some ready mixed paste. Reckon that will stick easy peasy.. bit like closing down tomorrow banners in shop windows. some have been there for years :LOL:

Border paste might be a pig to remove :?:

Good luck.

Try some ready mixed paste. Reckon that will stick easy peasy.. bit like closing down tomorrow banners in shop windows. some have been there for years. Border paste might be a pig to remove

Thanks, Jon. Good thinking re. those signs stuck on the inside of shop windows. They wouldn't use something that would be a bugger to get off. Hmmm. Might be worth popping up to town and asking a few shopkeepers.

Have got a number of alternatives together now. The two major factors are 1. actually sticking to the unsanded glass, 2. being easily removable at a later date.

I think it would be wise to start with your suggestion first: Ready Mixed Paste.

Have googled for it and found the following
http://www.wallpaperdirect.co.uk/wallpapering-tools/Adhesives

Expensive tubs, for just a few panels. Right at the bottom is a pack of "Solvite Wallpaper Adhesive" flakes for just £4.27. It's described as "Extra strong all purpose wallpaper adhesive for hanging all papers including heavy embossed, washable, vinyls and blown vinyls." Do you reckon this is likely to be as good as the ready-mixed tubs?

The powder mix may be ok , use thick, you should be able to pick one small sachet from a local shed.
The reason i mention ready mix is that ready mix is a low water content ideal for slippery surfaces ;)
The powder mixed may result in paste running out along the base. depends on the paper being solid vinyl =2 non absorbant surfaces so might not dry, some textured vinyls are absorbant so might dry eventually.
Personally I would go for the ''speciality'' mix 2.5kg £6.99. that will paste 2/3 rolls.
good luck..

Hi Jon,

Well, the job's "done", I hope!

Got a sachet of Everbuild wallpaper powder, mixed a really thick quantity, and then beat it like hell till it was clear and transparent, then forced it onto the back of the paper, really working it into the paper, and then attached the pieces of vinyl to the mirrors.

Looks fantastic (the choice of design was important) and it's still there this morning, after 16 hours up. I reckon it's still wet and tacky. What will happen in a month's time - by which it surely must dry out! - I wait to see.

One thing is for certain: I won't be lifting a corner with a pair of pincers to test the strength of the adhesion. If it all hangs on in place just by whisker, FINE!

Will drop a note back here in a month's time!

Eddy.

Hi I know this is an old thread, but just hoping you can cast your mind back to when you did this job. Your last post said it hadn’t fully dried, just wondering how it worked out once it did? Am in the same situation and looking for a solution.

I would expect bog standard powdered wall paper paste to be fine. I have used it to paper non porous surfaces in the past (eg previously painted door panels). It will take much longer to dry but I have never had problems with adhesion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back