have removed wallpaper..want to paint walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just removed wallpaper from a bedroom and rather than wallpaper again i now wish to paint the walls, which are in excellent condition now that i have filled in nail holes etc. I want to make a decent job of this and will put in the effort to have it looking good but should i apply the paint directly to walls that will have residual wallpaper paste or would it be a more professional finish if i were to take the trouble to line the walls and paint over the lining paper.

Sponsored Links
Give the walls a good rub down, and wash down with Sugar soap to get rid of any of the old paste.
Fill and make good where necessary,then I would dilute my first coat of paint, (use a good make,dulux),then apply your further coats.

If you have loads of filled bits, or lumps of filler on your walls, then I would brush some diluted paint on these a couple of times prior to starting your first coat.

You paint the walls with diluted emulsion (mist coat) first as it's easier to see if any more filling needs to be done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back