appropriate anchor bolts/fixings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the process of securing several wooden planters I built. All but one are up as I have left the most complicated one to the end (the others were put up with standard bolts and frame fixings on some of the larger ones were I couldn't get a bolt to)

This last one is the largest of the lot (about 54" long using 8x1 timber) and once soil/plants etc are in it will be fairly heavy. It needs to be fixed direct to a red brick wall and I am pretty sure the bricks are hollow (ones with many holes in it - certainly not solid) hence my concern as to what will hold this up.

I want to try and avoid brackets underneath (if at all possible). If it was a solid concrete wall I would simply use 3/4 anchor/expanding bolts. I am unsure as to how such bolts would work on this type of brick. Would it not just shatter as the tension takes?

Is it better to sink the bolt into the mortar between the bricks? If I have to use brackets do I not have the same problem really where the bracket supporting the weight still needs to be fixed to the hollow bricks?

Thanks folks

Sponsored Links
hollow bricks are stonger than you think

we reguarly use them to install fall arrest anchors !!!

resin fixings are the answer. drill the hole, blow the dust out, fill the cavity with epoxy resin, insert a stud.

once its dry, you can hang off it !!!!

hollow bricks are stonger than you think

we reguarly use them to install fall arrest anchors !!!

resin fixings are the answer. drill the hole, blow the dust out, fill the cavity with epoxy resin, insert a stud.

once its dry, you can hang off it !!!!

Sounds ideal - thanks. Never used epoxy resin/resin fixings before but seems pretty straightforward. One quick query as never used before

Do I need to avoid drillling right through the brick into the cavity behind. I assume if I do this then the resin will just pump itself out into the cavity - hence with resin fixings I need to stop before reaching the void behind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back