Approx cost of garage conversion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are looking to convert half our integral double garage into a habitable room. The garage is split into two separate areas by a dividing wall. Each area is roughly the same size as your average single garage and has its own single garage door, lighting and a single double socket mains point already in place. We intend on converting the half which is connected to the house. We've had two quote from builders to carrying out the full conversion including the building control aspects. The cheaper quote came in at £4,500 but there would probably be around another £500 on top of this to cover the pat-p sign off and building control application fees. I have been considering doing some of the work myself and have also obtained a quote to only have the infill of the garage door opening (ie: 12 course brick wall and upvc window). This worked out at £950 assuming new foundations weren't required for the wall. With a new baby due in less than 2 months, hence the need for more living space, we're on a tight budget. The builder who quoted £4.5k suggest all work could be done within 3 days. He also ran through the work required, this was:
1 - excavate a trial hole to check to see if existing foundations were sufficient. if not fit new foundations.
2 - infill garage door opening (brick wall and window),
3 - install dpm and floating floor,
4 - insulate ceiling, floor and one external wall
5 - relocate existing mains point and add second mains point (this needs doing by a pat-p electrician and wasn't included in quote)
6 - plaster board walls (ceiling already done),
7 - fit fire door to dividing garage wall,
8 - skim walls
9 - hang radiator. the pipework is already present as this was fitted with a new boiler last week.

I am trying to establish how much I would save by contracting individual professionals to do the infill, electrics and plastering work. I would then purchase the necessary dpm, timber, insulation, plasterboard and other materials and do the other easier bits myself. If I stood to save £1.5-£2k then I would be inclined to have a go at this myself, otherwise i'd go with the builder as mentioned above.

Anyone with experience in this area have any input in terms of cost if going down the diy route? In terms of garage conversions I am pretty sure this is as easy as they come. Is £4.5k a fair price?

Sponsored Links
£4-5k sounds like a bargain. But he must be a bloody fast worker if he's gonna do a good job in 3 days ...... Hope he's got good references and isn't available for a couple of months ......

Really? I thought £4.5-5k was a little step considering the work involved and I was quoted just short of £1k to do the infill. Given i'd have to pay for the electrics separately all he would be doing is; dpm, floating floor, insulate 1 wall, floor and ceiling, plaster boarding walls, skim walls and hang a door. Sounds like I'm out of touch with todays prices but I thought £4k to that was ott. What's the approximate cost for the materials cost: dpm, plasterboard, timber, etc. Its an average sized single garage.

Thanks for the input so far ;)

Sponsored Links
Ask in the Building Section really. But down this neck of the woods a complete garage conversion comes in from about £6K+ often a lot more depending on the standard, extent of works and size etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back