Garage conversion .. of sorts..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at creating a man cave , a place to retreat to and chill out..

Have an 18 by 18 detached double garage , single skin brick , with half brick piers every 6 foot or so.

Thinking of putting an impervious brick sealer on the external facing walls to minimises dampness and then

Option 1 , dot and dabbing insulated plasterboards straight to the wall.. granted this will mean having a "bumpy wall" as the piers will stand out.

Option 2 , is to batten it, although would need some deep tether points , or would there be enough to tether it on the piers and head and sole plates secured into the concrete and wooden joist ? DPM and insulation would need as there is a void to filled.

The two slide up garage doors I would leave there, as I would be looking at fitting a frame and insulation of the doors themselves and the dry wall , leaving there always a future buyer to revert it back to a garage if needed.

Any comments would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
You could basically build an independent single sided stud wall in the non pier areas with 100mm timber, should be strong enough for general use including standard shelving if you plan where the noggings are. Although I'd go for free standing shelving in a garage.
Then the plasterboard fixes to the timber and bridges over the piers. Or you can use something stronger if you're going to give it any punishment.
Just isolate the timber from the concrete to avoid damp. You can even insulate the stud wall if you want. And you can do the same on the ceiling, and lay celotex on the floor and cover with decent thickness chipboard or OSB.
Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back