Approx cost to install a window?

NHW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically i am having a double story extension onto my house (about 70% complete) at the moment.

So an additional bedroom is being added but the adjoining (existing) bedroom is having its windows taken out and bricked up because the new bedroom is being built right next to it.

As the old bedroom will now have no windows we were planning to just have it as a walk-in wardrobe or a cinema/playroom. Checked with the builder to see how much it would be if we did want a window installed he said would be £2.5k.

The pvc window itself costs £350 (i know this cause i asked for receipts for the existing windows) and lintel around £60, scaffolding for that side of house is around £150 a week by using a full width guard rail tower.

So Slightly confused as to whether it should cost nearly £2,000 for labour in order to make an opening and then install 1 window, considering he said that it could be done in around 2 days with 2 guys on the job.

I've obviously never had it done before so no idea as to how much the avg cost of this would be but once i heard it i decided to add up the costs and for me it sounds quite abit. Would anybody that has done this type of job before be able to give me an indicative price?

Its pretty much just a normal exterior-facing brick wall and a normal upvc window. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yeah he already has a scoffold on site but its at one part of the house, the place for this window to be installed is at the end/side of the house where there wasnt scaffolding required.

Sponsored Links
Is he making good, plastering, rendering etc?
I imagine this includes the building regs fee?
Still a bit dear imo

making good but no inc regs fee because i have already included that in the works that i have carried out.

It'll depend partiall on how well you want the job done, as they can just cut the opening, or they can take out the cut bricks, and turn them so that it looks neat and original. But if you assume that they are just cutting the opening, the they'd cut out the bricks for the lintel, and then install it. Then cut the opening for the window and install that and the glass, install the window board, and then bond and plaster the reveals, and very likely the whole wall. Two men should be able to do the grunt work in a day, and then a further man day for the plasterer, but allow 2 men for 2 days to cover painting etc, and that's be reasonable. Yup, £2.5k means the men get about £120 each, and say £150 with costs and employers NI, so the boss gets £1400 profit. Either tell him he's having a laugh, or get a couple more quotes. The notice should cover other men doing the job if your builder doesn't be more reasonable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back