Loft / Roof Window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I already have an existing loft window but it was installed before I bought the house and seems very old and the wind comes through it quite easily.

If I am wanting to update the window so it is air tight and provides more insulation, is this easy enough as a DIY job or would it need me getting someone in.

The window is pretty big so not even sure how much something like this would cost but from a quick search it seems to be around £600.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Glass
980mm x 1020mm

Window Frame (40mm)
1020mm x 1060mm

Attachments

• IMG_6398.JPG
    IMG_6398.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_6402.JPG
    IMG_6402.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 124
Sponsored Links
Where does the wind come in, and does the window tilt and turn, or is it a top opener. If it's set in properly, they don't tend to go wrong, so it may just need a bit of adjustment. You also have vents either side; can these be shut off.

Do you know which make it is.

Thanks for the reply, not sure on the make but it is a tilt and turn. The air vents are obviously part of it but cannot be shut off. There is a draft however that comes from the bottom of the frame and from around the sides of the window itself. It does look old and a bit of a DIY job to be honest.

I just wasn't sure whether it would be easy enough to replace myself and how much I would be looking at for the unit as a whole. Probably been in 20 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back