Being overcharged for windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A month or two back we had total new windows fitted to our living room - including the frames themselves.

The main window was done which has the main body glass about 2mtr-x-1mtr with 2 openings around 250mm-x-850mm each.

Then the small side window was done - again total new frames as well, the whole lot re-done, ripped out & replaced. This will perhaps be 1.5mtr-x-500mm at a guess.

Then i asked for prices on the bedroom windows being done. Not the frames, just the glass this time around.

1 window:
980mm-x-690mm main body
880mm-x-140mm opening

Then 2 windows in another bedroom...

1535mm-x-680mm main body
630mm-x-140mm opening (x2)

And then a small window in there of 430mm-x-985mm with no opening.

The whole job in the living room, new frames and all, was £800.

I know the bedroom job involves more pieces of glass, but they're smaller, plus the frames are staying.
We were quoted £1,600 for it. Same company.

When comparing it to the living room job, it doesn't make sense to me, but then i'm not in this game so one of you guys may be able to explain it (or to say it's on the expensive side).

Sponsored Links
so a total of 7 sealed units only? if so that is way over the odds ...even if its in wood ( which takes longer and requires fitting materials ) ...I'd be questioning that or even going to another company for another quote...strikes me they don't want the work at that price.....

I did think it was pricey.

Unless he's incorrectly assuming i want the frames replacing because i had the frames replaced downstairs?! But i specified the glass only.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Does sound a bit ridiculous.
Assuming modern spec units. Ie. warm edge spacers, Low E glass and argon glass a full glass door sized unit (including being toughened) cost price is around £80-100. Average sized units that arnt toughened are usually around £30-50.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back