Condenation - no condensation...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our windows get heavy condensation on them this time of the year all over the house.
Last year we had to renew the living room windows (including frames) as we just couldn't solve a leak. Thankfully it seems to have done the job.

The old glass that was in there before the change was very misted across the pane. The top 2 openers, the main body of glass & the same for the side window - they were all very misted within the glass.

Anyway since the change those new windows don't really get condensation on them at all. The rest of the house obviously does but the new ones don't.

The upstairs front of house also badly need replacing. The frames are fine but the glass just looks filthy because it's so misted.

So 2 part question time really...

1) Why have the new windows suddenly stopped getting condensation on them? I'm sure there's some funky science behind it so i'm just curious.

2) With upstairs only needing glass replacing and not frames, would you expect the same results as downstairs regards condensation in a morning?

Sponsored Links
Do you drape wet washing inside your home?

1) Why have the new windows suddenly stopped getting condensation on them? I'm sure there's some funky science behind it so i'm just curious.

2) With upstairs only needing glass replacing and not frames, would you expect the same results as downstairs regards condensation in a morning?

1-improved glass technology. low e glass, warm edge spacer bar argon gas fill. In fact new double glazing and triple glazing can suffer from condensation on the outside because the heat from the house isnt reaching the outside pane.

2. if you replace the glass not the frames, you are likely to reduce condensation, or possibly eliminate it. However if there are draughts in the old windows due to poor weather sealing that may contribute to cold glass on the inside.

As JohnD says, are you producing a lot of humid air in the house?

We used to have the washing drying out in the house but 1) this was limited to the back bedroom and 2) haven't done this for a long long time since we looked in to dehumidifier vs tumble dryer and now we just tumble dry if we can't dry them outside.

When the new windows were fitted the installers did mention something about some new gas compared to the old windows. They noted their install date and said they really shouldn't have gone (misted) so quickly. I think they were only like 5 years old thereabouts.

Sponsored Links
From you post it would seem the origianl panes failed and water got into the gap, you new panes don't allow in moisture.Simple as that.

All DG units will eventually fail and get condensation inside. The reason is that the spacers have to be made slightly porous to allow the air pressure inside to equalise as the atmospheric pressure changes. Every time there's high pressure a few molecules of moisture will flow into the gap and every time the pressure drops air will come out leaving the moisture behind to accumulate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back