aprox price for pointing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get some pointing done on my gable end. The area in question is the full width of the house.It starts about 1.8 m above the DPC,and continous up for aprox 2m,so about 22 sq m in all. This area is very poor.(cracking and falling out) It seems to me that this may have been built in the winter,and has been affected by frost. The pointing on the rest of the gable is good.
Does anybody know a price per square metre for pointing, and could my theory of the cause be correct.
The house is about twenty years old, and we are in Cumbria.

Sponsored Links
Hi Kev23a. I think you have to rake out around 10-12mm to repoint. Bit of a time consuming job TBH, a lot of dust etc when using a drill bit.

Sponsored Links
i would charge you about £30 a metre to rake out and repoint but i hate repointing and it's a semi-skilled job so you'll get it cheaper

Thats a decent quote, Kev23a, just a passing question @Chapithebricky have you asked FMT for approval? He may not approve like.....

Got to agree with you Chapi,the guys ive asked about it,all seem to POINT me to somebody else :LOL: I might give it a go myself,I have an easy fix scaffold and lots of time to spare these days.
What mix do you think, 2-1 ? or is that a bit strong ?

2/1 is a bit strong. The mix depends on the type of brickwork and how exposed it is. For example an old soft brick built in lime mortar would need a lime mix.
There isn't one mix that suits all walls.

As i said, the house is only 20 years old,built with sand and cement,(not mortar). So it needs to be pointed with a sand and cement mix.

OK chapi now i get it. Many moons ago i remember going with my dad to a local builders yard to get some "mortar",which was a sand and lime mix. He then added cement to it. this is why i was confused. So 4 sand to 1 cement ? any admix ?

you don't really need it for pointing however it does make your job a wee bit easier, if anything you some lime either one part lime or half part lime to one part cement

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back