Cost of re-pointing garden wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had three quotes for the following work :-

Rake out and re-point 8sq metre garden wall (1metre high x 8 metres long)

Refix a row of bricks on end along the 8 metre run of wall (re-using existing bricks)

One quote worked out at about £70 per square metre and the other two at close to £100 per square metre.

I had previously been told (on another forum) that re-pointing would typically be about £18 -20 per square metre - was that way out of line?

To be honest, at the prices quoted I think I will be giving it a go myself, I know it will probably take some time but I can cope with that if it saves me a few hundred quid.

Incidentally, one of the builders said that he estimated it would take him 4 days - 2sq metres a day - does that sound right?

Sponsored Links
Thanks,

As it is only a garden wall I think I will try it myself - be good if I can add to my skill sets and save a few hundred quid at the same time

Sponsored Links
Repointing is childs play. Do it yourself.

Just make sure the mixture isn't sloppy else it'll go on your wall, and knock up some kind of tray so you can 'slide' the mortar in to the beds easily.

If you've got any common sense you'll figure it out.

Carefully work with a paint brush to tidy up at the end is all that's required for a perfect job.

Yes, and it is easy to make a dogs ar se of it too.

Whilst I agree it is a mundane and repetitive job, a decent repointing job can enhance whilst a poor one can devalue.

I don't see any harm on a garden wall though as long as you practice on the neighbours side first. :p

Yes, and it is easy to make a dogs a**e of it too.

Whilst I agree it is a mundane and repetitive job, a decent repointing job can enhance whilst a poor one can devalue.

I don't see any harm on a garden wall though as long as you practice on the neighbours side first. :p

If you're not used to DIY type jobs and/or don't have patience and care and dexterity in your wrists then yeah I guess it can mess it up.

Worse case scenario though you just chisel it back out and start again :LOL:

I think it depends on who you have asked i.e. stone masons will be 100 per m.
I agree with noseall 40 per m is about right no one will do it for 18 to 20.
Given that they have to rebed 8m or 100 bricks I would say £600 would be fair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back