Aqualisa Axis Digital and Flanges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my previous post (//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=104699), an essex/surrey flange was recommended for my installation of an aqualisa axis digital pumped shower. The processor/pump unit is going in the loft.

Case A: I have called Aqualisa to confirm their instructions. They only require a downward tee be taken from the existing DHW pipe (marked C in my picture). There is no requirement for essex/surrey/warix flanges and anti-gravity loops. (This is the same in the Triton Satellite digital unit).

Case B: All pump instructions I have seen (Stuart Turner, Salamander, etc) state that if the pump is going in the loft an anti-gravity loop off an Essex flange MUST be installed along with a manual air vent.

Is there something about these processor units that differ from a standard pump? Integrated air vent etc? Not built to last?

From reading other posts I understand why one sould fit an essex and AGL. So, should I just follow the MI (has 5 year warranty) or be extra safe and install essex, AGL, etc?

Sponsored Links
fitted loads of the triton, grohe digital showers they are a better to install.

as with the standard pumps they can get airlocked, run dry etc but with the digital showers if they sense a water failer they shut down.

the other problem with pumps is if the feed is take from a pipe supplying the taps etc when the taps are used the pump flow switchs can detect water movement so the pump then opperates when not needed. so there pumps work better on own supply.

the digital showers can be just plumbed in as you said straight off the hot water supply pipe from cylinder.

no need to install a surrey flange etc

never had any of the processors go wrong yet.

Good stuff, I shall follow the MI.

While you're there what's the noise like - equivalent to a power shower? Was wondering whether it needed better soundprrofing than a piece of chipboard.

they can hum abit if screwed to wood laying on the joists.

i don't find them any worse than the pumps.

sometimes if you have room and your tank in loft is high enough i have screwed them to a panel and screwed that to uprights of the truss rather than screw to the joists then it don't seem to hum right across your ceiling.

as in the mi you can lay the processer down flat or screw it to a wall.

Sponsored Links
A layer of carpet underlay and then a block of mdf/chipboard often quietens the pump significantly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back