Supply pipes for Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a new shower (Aqualisa Axis Digital) that incorporates a small pump and requires 15mm supply pipes. I have received conflicting advice regarding hot water supply and would appreciate advice on the following:-

1) The simplest solution appears to be putting a branch in the HW vent pipe, close to the cylinder. This is 28mm so is it OK to fit a 28/28/15 tee?

2) Is is better to fit either a Surrey or Essex flange to take water direct from cylinder (although I can't see real benefit in doing so)?

3) Is there another option?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
1) certainly not, it would suck air down the vent.
2) yes
3) not really. We see all sorts and sometimes it works better than others if a short cut is taken.

Most manufacturers recommend essex/surrey flanges as first choice. But also say if you tee into hot water draw off on top of cylinder providing you do it a minimum of 6 inches below the open vent tee it should work ok. And in the majority of cases it does. keep cylinder temp at 60c as temps above this can cause air bubbles to form in shower pump when working (cavitation)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back