2 Shower Pumps on same Feed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am in the process on fitting a Aqualisa Visage Digital Shower to my main bathroom. I have a gravity fed vented system so have gone for version with with pump built-in.

I am in the process of fitting a surrey flange to cylinder to have a dedicated air free HW feed to processor/pump unit and a new feed from the CW tank.

However, after I have finished the main bathroom I plan to move onto the ensuite and will probably fit the same shower unit - Aqualisa Visage Digital Shower with pump built in.

My questions is having already fitted 1 surrey flange to have a dedicated HW supply to the first shower/pump unit can I just T off that to supply a second shower/pump unit. What if both pumps are in operation at same time come they then not be worthing against each other?

I know I could fit an essex flange for a second dedicated feed to the second pump but I am not very keen on fitting an Essex flange. So am hopefully it might be possible to T off the 1 surrey flange shower feed.

Cheers for any help.

Luke

Sponsored Links
Theoretically it should be fine but seek advice from Aqualisa as the warranty is with them. They post on here occasionally so you might get a direct response...

Aqualisa installation instructions are a little vague.

All they say is that other outlets must not be affected!

As long as your supply is adequate you should be able to feed 2 showers.

It all comes down to pipe sizing and flow. Do remember though unless you have a large hot and cold supply then you could run into problems, 2 pumped showers running at once will use a fair amount of hot water.

Sponsored Links
I would have thought that installing a single pump in the airing cupboard or somewhere along route before the split to the 2 outlets would be a more sensible and more elegant measure as well as provide the additional bonus of improving flow to all hot water taps :idea: Probably cheaper too.

I would install just one pump as suggested but there is no room in airing cupboard so was planning to stick one in loft but turns out my CW tank is fitted only 15cm off attic floor which doesn't provide enough head to activate pump. Stuart Turner said there wouldn't be enough flow to activate even there neg head pumps.

I wanted to fit the Aqualisa Visage anyway as it has an option with divert and bath overflow fill. It's only an extra £100 to get it with pump built in and can be fitted level with tank in attic as its activated by digital controls linked to processor unit with data cable. Price difference when factoring in neg head ST pump was negligible.

I called Aqualisa who advised against splitting feed from single shower feed from flange. Instead they said they aren't fusy about flanges so to connect first shower to shower feed from flange but take the second shower pump feed from normal hot water outlet before the expansion pipe and put in anti gravity loop.

Personally I was surprised they played down need for flange but makes my life easier.

Cheers for comments and advice

I called Aqualisa who advised against splitting feed from single shower feed from flange. Instead they said they aren't fusy about flanges so to connect first shower to shower feed from flange but take the second shower pump feed from normal hot water outlet before the expansion pipe and put in anti gravity loop.

Get it in writing cause I wouldn't want to wreck a pump that has had air pulled through it for them to turn round and say, nah we didn't say that!!

Any concern about the feed would be dealt with by a 22mm essex flange IMO. Again, it's all about pipe sizing and suitable flow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back