air in hot water system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
so, i have a thermostatic shower fitted to an electric pump, and i have had issues with air in the system. i have fitted a surrey flange to combat this but have seen no difference whatsoever
is the dedicated shower feed coming off the surrey flange supposed to have a vent back to the loft tank like the original feed has? have i goofed?

i dont understand why the flange has offered no improvement

IMAG0257.jpg

Sponsored Links
the surrey flange don't vent back to the loft.

wheres your feed to your taps come from ?
i can see the vent and shower feed.

tell us more about the air.
is it only when using shower or taps aswell ?
how long can you run a tap for before drawing in air ?
is it only hot or cold as well ?
is it a twin pump ?

Sponsored Links
tell us more about the air.
is it only when using shower or taps aswell ?
how long can you run a tap for before drawing in air ?
is it only hot or cold as well ?
is it a twin pump ?

Hot water only.
air is present from the taps but only when youve used the shower.
Twin pump yes.
When using shower, if you turn on the hot bath tap (which is first in line from the airing cupboard) just a little, it seems to bleed the air out leaving the shower with good flow. if not, the air builds,shower pressure drops so low the pump doesnt sense the water flow and turns itself off
It does not do this every day,some days the pressure is superb, the problem is not affected by length of shower time either weirdly

only an idea but is it drawing air in from the bath hot tap ?
as you say its ok if left open slightly. :idea:

only an idea but is it drawing air in from the bath hot tap ?
as you say its ok if left open slightly. :idea:

No mate it bleeds air out not draws in air, if you crack open the hot bath tap just a little it coughs and splutters and releases the trapped air.after that the shower will run fine,with excelent flow and pressure

No mate it bleeds air out not draws in air,
bleeds air out if you open the tap, but how do you know its not sucking air in when the pumps running tap closed ?

same as a heating system can have a bad joint and draw air in but don't leak water.

hold a glass full of water to the tap when shower on see if it draws it in.

never heard of a surrey flange drawing air from cylinder so its getting in somewhere.
whats the cylinder stat set to ?

No mate it bleeds air out not draws in air,
bleeds air out if you open the tap, but how do you know its not sucking air in when the pumps running tap closed ?

same as a heating system can have a bad joint and draw air in but don't leak water.

hold a glass full of water to the tap when shower on see if it draws it in.

never heard of a surrey flange drawing air from cylinder so its getting in somewhere.
whats the cylinder stat set to ?

Ah ok I understand, stat is set at 50 degrees. Will try the cup test

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back