Essex Flange to feed shower pump and the rest of the house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I will be installing a shower in the loft of a house. I the instructions it requires an essex flange. The problem i have is that i cannot supply the pump with an independent feed. If i fit an essex flange can i supply the whole houe plus the pump from the one feed blanking the outlet at the top but leaving the vent in place?

Sponsored Links
Will possibly require a negative head pump if installing shower in loft space , the other thing to consider when using an essex/surrey flange is hot water storage capacity could be effected , dependant on which type you use.

The pump i have decided on is a salamander ESP CPV it is switchable between positive and negative to allow me to decide on best operation. The tank is also a big one so am not too worried about water capacity. I am mainly worried about the essex flanges capability to supply pump and house from original pipe work.

I don't quite see why you can't continue to supply the rest of the house as before, why do you think you need to blank it off and re-route the low pressure supply via the flange?

Sponsored Links

Done a quick sketch of changes. If i leave the existing pipe in place it would allow air bubble to be drawn up to the pump, hence needing an essex flange, i have been told by the supplier that a suffolk flange is not suitable (that was going to be my original route to fix the problem.

If you haven't already got the pump take a look at the Stuart Turner website.
They're pumps are very good and they allow / recommend a hot water take off from the horizontal hw supply.
Might be worth a look.

to back up what wetshoes has mentioned, on a triton training course the trainer said for the hot feed tee off the existing horizontal 22mm with the fitting pointing downwards to solve air problems.
i see an essex fitting is over £28 in the screwfix catalogue, compared to £2 for an endfeed tee, quite a difference

The sketch looks fine but use a Non stop Essex flange or techflange this link might help http://www.salamander-pumps.com/how-to/install-a-loft-pump.html which will explain about fitting a pump in a loft or higher than a HWC.

Techflanges are fairly cheap and easy to fit http://www.tapstore.com/techflow-products-techflange-cutter.html

You can supply the whole house with that pump but if you can put WC's etc on the mains or gravity fed saves pump noise when someone gets up for a midnight wee...and pumps in lofts are noisier and normaly less durable the airing cupboard installations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back