Immersion heater port to feed shower.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I need a hot water feed for a mixer shower, can I remove the immersion heater from the HWT and utilise the entry for it. I have considered an essex or surrey flange but seeing I dont use the immersion heater it make sense to use this point. Is there a suitable sized flange to screw into the cylinder and feed 22 or 15 mm pipework for the shower pump for the mixer. ( Mira Platinum pumped shower )

Thanks. Tony

Sponsored Links
you could try it - but you`s need a 2 1/4 inch BSP immersion blank :idea: then you might be able to drill out and fit a connector to it

If the immersion is fitted into the top of the cylinder you could end up with trapped air in the outlet, which is what Surrey / Essex flanges are fitted to avoid (Surey flanges release any trapped air into the cylinder vent pipe, and Essex flange outlets are angled downwards amd through the side of the cylinder to stop air entering them).

Unscrewing an immersion heater that is stuck down with old jointing compounds can be problematic. It can take a fair bit of torque to release the thread, and risks tearing the threaded boss out of the cylinder. They can be released by heating them with a blowtorch, or cutting into them, but that can turn what at first seemed an easy job into something else!

Sponsored Links
What size is the hot water outlet on the top of the cylinder?. A grundfos watermill flange or equivalent is ideal for these types of installation, it provides a tee off for your shower pump inlet pipework, and a diptube which reduces the risk of air in the inlet pipework.

Alex

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back