Aqualisa cartridge leaking - advice required.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I live with my brother who was fortunate enough for me to allow him the en-suite bedroom. This room comes equipped with an Aqualisa (thermo/manual cartridge) shower which was working fine until it recently began to leak.

It seems to be leaking from the LHS control knob (on/off). It wasn't a major issue, just a very slight leak which has developed into a more prominent leak in the last few days. For some reason my brother chose tonight, of all nights, to try and do a temporary repair as he was on his way out.

He tightened what I think is the retainer screw of the on/off knob and has broken it. He said that when he tightened it the leak reduced and so thought tightening more would stop it completely - he's a bit inept when it comes to things like that.

After coming to his rescue (and shutting off the main water supply) we now have a larger problem. Not only is this retainer broken, the water is coming from both the on/off knob and the shower head, whenever the mains water is turned back on.

Obviously something is out of place within the cartridge and the original fault is still untouched.

So, onto the advice part.

My plan is to remove the cartridge, open it up (if possible) and replace all/any O-rings and hopefully be able to buy a new retainer piece. Had my brother left well alone then all we would need would be the O-rings but he likes to make things a bit more challenging.

I've done plenty of mechanical/engineering jobs/tasks/what-have-you but have never touched a shower cartridge. My worst case scenario is removing it from the piping and for it to not seal correctly when re-attached so I am looking for advice on the actual removal/refit of the cartridge.

Once off I will be able to play around with the cartridge and determine if it is repairable or if it needs replaced. Either way, I need to know the correct removal/refitting technique.

The shaft inside the cartridge was removed while we were doing various testing on the on/off knob area and this will be the cause of the water coming through the shower hose (even when in the off position). It must not be fitted correctly.

Any comments regarding O-rings and the retainer piece is also welcome.

I believe that this is the unit that we have

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Camster

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back