Aqualisa Quartz shower problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am stuck on a customer's shower, it's a 10 year-old Aqualisa Quartz pumped. It has the old style grey processor unit.
Customer complained of shower flow not stopping completely when switched off (dribbling constantly), in all other ways it worked perfectly well.

I stripped down the mixer mechanism, and found the two spring loaded seals on the two inlets were stuck back. Great, that would explain the dribbling. I freed them off, cleaned, and lubricated their guides with a smear of silicone grease. I was careful not to trap any internal wires on reassembly of the processor.
On reassembly I noticed that the data cable was damaged near to its plug end. I inspected it but the damage did not seem to be significant....for your information the blue wire had been crushed, presumably at the installation 10 years ago.

The new symptoms are that the temperature stepper motor will drive the control disc valve forwards on switch on (from the normal shower user control button), then it will reverse to the 'stop' position and the pump will not start. Strangely the user control button ('start/stop') remains illuminated, and no further action can be taken until the mains supply is cycled off-on.

I temporarily replaced the entire processor with a spare I keep and, still using the 'damaged' date cable, the shower works properly.

I insist I haven't broken anything whilst mending it (?), so my questions are based around what I should do to try to restore the function of the old shower processor. I don't want to donate my processor unit! As the customer said. "I used it only this morning and, apart from the dribbling, it worked fine. Now it doesn't dribble, but it doesn't work!".

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
The mistake you made was trying to fix the processor unit. You should have just got a new one of Aqualisa for £280. How long do people expect these to last??

Agreed. Whenever one of those develops a fault, I call in AquaLisa as they carry all the spares and are often happy to repair for nowt or very little as a loss leader to secure a future sale of one of their own products when customer decides to replace!
I tried to repair one once and when customer decided to call Aqua in, all the engineer did was slate everything I'd done in a written report to the customer... I let them know how I felt about that - bit like (most) BG engineers :cautious:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back