Aquapanel or other?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. My builder has just built me a replacement plasterboard partition wall and a new wood frame (waterproofed wood he told me) for my bathroom, and my new bath (coming monday) will sit alongside it. He's going to Aquapanel that partition wall, and sand and cement the front end wall. My bathroom is 5 and half by 5 by the way. Here's a picture of it as it stands now http://s18.postimage.org/hz482yjw9/image.jpg

Someone on another forum (not a DIY forum) said this, (below) and while he might not be wrong, is it really necessary for me to tell all this stuff to my builder, is aquapanel no good? Can tiling not be done till 2 weeks after sand and cement have dried?

"Wedi/Marmox/Schluter is far better than aquapanel and about the same price. Aquapanel should be coated in waterproofing liquid (tanked) to be waterproof. It does not break down if water gets to it but it saturates, like concrete and allows water to get into the rest of the building. I would put it on all walls near the bath/shower, not use render on one wall, unless they are going to wait a couple weeks to tile. Once you take into account tanking aquapanel there's little in it and it takes 24hrs+ for tanking to go off as well as application time. Ensure all fixing screws (stainless) are waterproof taped over and joints are properly sealed with waterproof sealant. I have found Marmox works out cheaper overall and is waterproof not water resistant."

Sponsored Links
News to me. Aquapanel needs no tanking, that's the whole point of it.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't be concerned in a domestic setting. Pulled out plenty of plasterboard bathrooms and the most damage is near the bath junction. Aquapanel should give you no problem in a domestic setting. Manufacturers instruction dont mention tanking it, and its sold to be installed "bare" I have tanked it myself but in, what i would consider to be a commercial setting.

If your really worried about it ask the guy to tank it.

I wouldn't be concerned in a domestic setting. Pulled out plenty of plasterboard bathrooms and the most damage is near the bath junction. Aquapanel should give you no problem in a domestic setting. Manufacturers instruction dont mention tanking it, and its sold to be installed "bare" I have tanked it myself but in, what i would consider to be a commercial setting.

If your really worried about it ask the guy to tank it.

Thanks 1john, I like your answer. :D

My builder arrived at 8.30 this morning and first thing I put to him was about tanking or not tanking and he said, just like you, it's absolutely fine as it comes out of the box, no need for tanking, particularly as it's just for home use. I feel kind of relieved now. Also, he's now going to aquapanel the front end wall where the shower goes, where before he was just going to sand and cement. Thanks for your advice, much appreciated!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back