Aquarium too heavy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to upgrade my aquarium to one around 320L. Total weight would be approx 370kg. I live in a first floor flat with a concrete floor and I am unsure whether this would be strong enough. The plan would be to situate it on an outside wall. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What are the dimensions of the tank? Do you mean you plan to situate on the floor near an outside wall?

I haven't got the aquarium yet so not sure about the exact size, but was thinking about 60"x18"x18". And yes I meant the tank would be on a stand, on the floor, next to an outside wall.

It's considerably heavier than a standard imposed load, but whether or not the floor would b overstressed depends on a number of factors.

The fact that you plan to put the tank near the edge of the floor and it's only a small area means that it may well be OK, but in reality it's impossible to say without more information.

All we know is that the floor is concrete. Concrete floors vary considerably (Type [beam and block, filler joist, planks, cast in-situ], depth. reinforcement]. We don't know the span, or the span direction. Does the stand impart point loads to the floor? Gut feeling is that it would be OK but you need an engineer to come out and assess.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your input. I've decided to keep it smaller and lighter, as I know a structural engineer would be very expensive, and still might not be able to give a definite answer. Better to be safe, and have a complete floor!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back