Heavy duty shelf for a 4 foot vivarium?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i was after some advice. I am new to the forum so apologise if i have posted in the wrong place!

I have moved into a small studio flat and i have a 4 foot snake vivarium with no where to go. I dont want to have to rehome my snake so was wondering if i can make a shelf strong enough to take the weight of the viv? Its approx 55kg in weight and 48"L X 15"W X 16"H.

I plan on fixing the shelf in an alcove about half the way up the wall. The left hand wall is part of my bathroom, the back wall is part of my livingroom and my neighbours flat and the right hand wall is part of my livingroom and the exterior of my flat. I am a bit of a diy novice(hence why im asking) but can do simple tasks although my dad is pretty good.

Is 55kg just too heavy to be supported by a shelf? If it is okay to build an approriate shelf what sort of wood and fixings will i need and will i need heavy duty shelving brackets or can i make a wooden frame fixed to the wall?

Any advice would be greatly recieved :)

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome charley101 :D :D

my thoughts are to place batons around the alcove and providing its around 450 mm/18" deep
use scaffold boards that are 9" deep double depth to = 460 with a divider made from the board central or 1/3 and 2/3 width dependant off use off the space underneath

I would use a similar principle, but use 3x2and 1" ply with noggins and see if you can get some Rapierstar fixings or thunderbolts 5". Sit on it when its done to test it.

Sponsored Links
55kg can be easily supported by a properly fitted shelf. Screwfix sell brackets which are rated at 70kg per bracket so a few of these with some sturdy planks accross should do nicely. Make sure the brackets are fitted to the wall with sutible fixings. If it's plasterboard then use a stud detector to locate the studs and screw into the studs with sutible screws.

EDIT: linkey: http://www.screwfix.com/p/hi-load-mitred-bracket-350-x-350mm-79kg-pack-of-10/56023

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back