Architect Fees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have received the following quote from an architect and before I go any further just wondered if anyone out there can confirm if Technical Engineer Drawings and Structural Engineer Drawings are the same???

Apologies if this is a rather daft question and I am sure to many of you the answer will be clear but I am unsure why there are technical drawings and structural engineer drawings required??

The quote was as follows:

Scope of Works
To prepare drawings and obtain Local Authority consent for a new garage to the side of the house.

Architect Fees

We would charge a fee of £960.00 for the following services:

• Survey of existing house in order to produce ‘as existing’ drawings.

• Prepare design drawings in line with the scope of works and our discussions.

• Submit a planning application on your behalf (if necessary).

• Liaise with the Local Authority during the planning process.

• Upon receipt of a successful planning consent, prepare technical drawings suitable for a submission to Building Control and to issue to builders for tendering quotes.

• We will obtain quotes from structural engineers for the necessary calculations and drawings.

• Issue a Building Notice to the Local Authority for Building Control consent

• You do not wish to appoint us to carry out the contract administration stage so we will provide you with 1 copy of all the drawn information for you to reproduce and issue to the Builders for a quote and to Thames Water (if necessary) yourselves.

We do not charge VAT but we do charge for expenses- see attached.

Other fees. These fees are in addition to ours:

1. Local Authority Planning Application Fee £172.00 (no VAT)

2. Local Authority Building Notice (Wokingham) £241.36 (inc. VAT)

3. Structural Engineers Fees £250.00 + VAT (TBC)

4. Thames Water £345.00 (inc.VAT)
Building over or within 3m of a sewer

Note: The above Local Authority Building Regulations fees are dependent upon the size of the extension & estimated cost of construction. The Structural Engineers fee will be confirmed in writing once a draft set of Building regulations drawings has been produced by us.

Sponsored Links
They are separate. The requirements for a garage are likely to be much less involved, but in addition to structural drawings/calcs, typically Building Control will want to see things like insulation, fire, ventilation, etc.

If I was preparing a fee proposal, I would separate out the survey, proposal, and planning app elements, because if a Planning Application is not required then it seems odd to me that someone would charge for the preparation and administration of that - but maybe they have a minimum fee, below which they just don't consider it worth their while to do the job.

Also, I would assume that in order for the architect to remain below the VAT threshold, you will be expected to settle all of the fees identified directly.

Well they should be able to give you a better idea if your proposal needs approval and there should be some saving if it doesn’t need planning so ask what the saving would be. Though assuming that the proposal hasn’t changed much from your other thread then PP will be required.

The technical drawings are the architectural working drawings that demonstrate how it is built and how the building regulations are complied with. Then there will be some structural engineers calcs and prolly some sketches to accompany the Building Regs App.

As previously mentioned it would have been better if all of your questions had remained in one thread to save having to be a mind reader and/or look up your other threads.

OP is being hoodwinked. - £960 for a garage is ridiculous.; far less complex than even an ordinary kitchen/loumge extension.

They should be able to tell whether or not a planning application would be required. And where does the structural engineer come in?....for a garage?, come on........!

Sponsored Links
It needs planning (see the OP's other thread) so I'd prolly be about £3-350 for planning, prolly same for regs, SE prolly doesn't sound too important though sounds like there's a build-over involved so may need SE for that, close to the boundary wall and neighbours house too, I dare say I'd allow for an SE's overview if nothing else. A build-over, well I would never allow for that within a fixed price as that could be a ball-ache. So £960 whilst I'd say isn't brilliant its not too bad either. It says the SE fee is tbc anyway. And I'd be doing that as a PJ so my overheads are low.

If it's of assistance, the fees I've encountered so far from structural engineers on my project:

2x house (3 floor) structure design by structural engineer - where and what steels and joists necessary to support the structure, and the point and distributed loads they exerted : £1200+VAT

Foundation design to support the above, quick turnaround - £1000 inc vat

2x steel lintels design to support 4m wide openings in a 450 thick stone/brick wall: £150 inc vat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back