Architect not following up with building control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone can give me some advice here.

We have done our house extension and used independent company to do our drawings etc. For one reason or another our house extension took a lot longer to complete. We just had building control come to look at the house to do final sign-off and she mentioned that our one piece of information was still outstanding which was related to some beams etc. The structural engineer at the council had sent a letter to us back in 2013 which our architects were apparently dealing with. However, we have just found out they didn't clear up one matter. I have been chasing and chasing them to complete this but they wont answer my calls or emails. I have them cc'ed on emails to the council as well but they do not reply. if i do manage to get home of them, they are saying they are still looking into it, one month later.

What happens if the council never get this piece of information? Will this affect me if i try to sell the property few years down the line?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
What is it exactly that the council are waiting for? In theory you won’t get sign-off from the council if you don’t get everything they need so that will be recorded on the system and will be flagged up when you sell

Are you fully paid up with the architects? Did you have a good relationship throughout the duration or is there some bad feeling? Assuming not and they are just being bloody minded then say that you will visit their offices and sit in reception until they deal with it.

Are they asking for structural calcs. for any beams?
If so, the architects should have advised you and either suggested you get an SE to do the figures, or recommended an SE to you.

Its for beams and their setup is that one of them is a structural engineer. We do owe them money but because they screwed up royally in our plans however they haven't asked for the rest of the money. In one of their emails in the past, they had started dealing with the council on this particular matter but just never followed up. He knows my office and and mobile number and now just avoids my calls. Have had to start calling from my colleagues mobile for them to answer.

Sponsored Links
In my experience you will not get very far until the outstanding moneys are resolved, one way or another .....

These are ARB/RIBA/RICS registered individuals and they're not answering your calls? I can't wait for my next ARB bulletin.

These are ARB/RIBA/RICS registered individuals and they're not answering your calls? I can't wait for my next ARB bulletin
Have you ever read the resolution process to sort out a dispute? You don’t just ring the RIBA and say they’re not returning my calls and they give the architects a kick.

These are ARB/RIBA/RICS registered individuals and they're not answering your calls? I can't wait for my next ARB bulletin
Have you ever read the resolution process to sort out a dispute? You don’t just ring the RIBA and say they’re not returning my calls and they give the architects a kick.
It is with my institution. If you fail to respond to a client they cannot initiate the formal complains procedure and you will get hauled up in front of the disciplinary panel who will issue a sanction against the member. For something like this a reprimand and a fine probably, for a second offence probably expulsion. One reason I always suggest employing designers and consultants who are a member of a professional institution, it gives the client a big stick to beat the consultant with if they fail to perform but of course the vast majority provide an excellent service.

Architects and crayons can be a dangerous, and expensive combination. This visualisation cost us an extra £1378.00 plus VAT

Attachments

• 2015-12-15 23.58.46.jpg
    2015-12-15 23.58.46.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 151
Some times the steel suppliers can provide the calcs... If not, I suggest you have a structural engineer for calcs for building control. Presumable you have records of what steel went in and pictures of it sitting on pad stones or a sound bearing. If not he may want to do investigative work to see that it was installed correctly. It may pay to rectify things with your original designer.
There is a lot of work that goes into design to satisfy planning and building control sometimes builders want to change designs because they will say it is better, but very often it's because that's the way he has always done it... Not necessarily the best or cheapest solution for the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back