architect's fees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Hi,
I recently received a quote of £750 from an architect for a small single storey extension to our house, measuring 2m x 3.5m. He's an individual architect, but experienced. This price includes all the drawings for planning and building regs, but *not* the charges for the planning and building reg submissions themselves. Is this a reasonable price, or is this too expensive? I have given him all the original plans of the house from when we did our last extension. VAT wasn't mentioned anywhere on the quote so maybe that's not part of the charge.
Please give me advice; thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Sounds OK. Even with VAT its not bad (check and check all of his T&C too). He still has to produce drawings from your originals so not as big a saving as you may think for this aspect. Provided he's good and does a good job of course ......

Nowt wrong with getting three quotes of course and make sure they're approachable and you can get on well with them.

One assumes you definately need Planning Permission.

It's not just about how much he charges, but how good and detailed his plans are

You can spend £500 on a full set of plans to pass planning and build regs, only to find that they are poorly designed, and lack the detail for builders to quote on and build .... so you end up spending ££3k more on necessary build costs and extras

Or you could spend more on design fees and less on build costs

So, you need to be satisfied that the designer is competent and knows how things are built in the real world, so you may need other quotes and meetings for comparison

Sponsored Links
Ok great thanks for your replies. I think I'll go ahead and hope for the best. He seems like a very experienced architect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back