Architrave and skirting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I’ve a builder in for a while. He originally gave an estimated time of 4-6 weeks for the work. It’s now in its 10th week. He has given so many excuses why. He recently had his floorer lay engineered wood throughout. The skirting is not flush with the architrave anywhere. The floorer told us he didn’t do something before they put the architrave on.
They didn’t say no more because they get most of their work through him.
When my wife asked the builder about it not being flush he said it was because of being an old 1950s bungalow. Which is complete rubbish. Can someone tell me what he didn’t do which caused this problem.
Many thanks
Addicks11

Sponsored Links
Do you mean where the end of the skirting butts up against the architrave?

is the end of the skirting proud of the architrave?

Were the rooms plastered?

Im wondering if the finish coat plaster was done after the architraves were fitted

Yes the skirting is proud to the architrave. All walls were skimmed before architrave was taken off.

Thicker architrave is required. I'm sure that can be resolved easily enough. Who foots bill though will have to be discussed

Sponsored Links
surely if the builder bought he is responsible for making sure it was the correct thickness.
Should he of skimmed that part after he took of the old architrave.

I recently worked in a house where, after re-plastering, the builders cut the architraves into the plaster and plasterboard. When it came to them fitting the skirtings, they did a 45 degree cut on the sticking out (proud) part of the skirting. Personally. I think that they should have packed out the door liners.

I ended up fitting the dado rail. I ended up doing the same thing that they did with the skirting.

On a side note, from 6 week to 10 sounds like a daywork job. So is the job being stretched out to get more more pay?

I can't imagine that is taking more time to get a better standard of work. :rolleyes:

Yes, pictures of the skirting. There are several options.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back